Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i want to change the factory cd player slighting to blue instead of green, i have 01 elantra gls........does the cd player use leds or something else?

btw, my non factory cd fried, so i had to put the factory one back in

·
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im talking about both the display and buttons...and pm to southpaw sent , ty

also, how do i change the A/C lighting

·
Registered
880 Posts
i took a stab at that project (having limited knowledge about how electronics work on the inside). i'd say the success was about 70%...i beleive that all the lights in the stock CD player are LEDs. that said. i got all the buttons and the screen light up blue. the only problem was that the LEDs i had were too big and the front face wouldn't go over them snug. while forcing it a little bit while the whole rig was plugged in i think i crossed some wires and fried tha damn thing. good thing didn't expect the project to be a 100% success and i already had an aftermarket cd player to go in its place. i wanted something that pliad mp3 anyway. talk to SPB and good luck. i must say it looked pretty cool with all the buttons and display in blue instead of green

As far as HVAC goes...i think the matrix LED is the new hotness that may make the project easier. when i changed mine i didn't know about matrix LEDs so i just stuck one 5mm LED behind each icon with one blue and one red LED for temp control and 1 shaved LED to backlight the slector buttons. the HVAC LED conversion has been covered a lot. do the search here and in archives. i beleive Ilan posted a DIY on elantragtclub.com for that too

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
IMO it's easier to just replace the relatively poor sounding factory CD Player / head unit with an aftermarket Sony one that already has a blue/red display. Some Sony, Kenwood, etc. head units already have red/blue displays that go very nicely with the blue /red instrument colors.

How much is your time worth? You'll spend a lot of it disassembling and reassembling the factory parts, and possibly end up damaging them so they don't work or scratching them so they don't look good when you're done.

As yevRPS said, I've also pulled my heater controls and saw that they were LED-lighted. However, I stopped there and didn't try to swap mine; instead I tell anyone who gets in to my car that they can adjust any of the amber-green controls (climate, windows), but they're not allowed to tuch anything blue or red (radio, emergency flashers, etc).

·
Registered
880 Posts
correction...stock HVAC controls have only 3 LEDs two green and one yellow ('01-03) for AC, Vent amd Defrost to light up when active. the rest is illuminated by 3 regular light bulbs (dunno about the size).

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
That's right, there are bulbs there too. However, they're soldered onto little 1/4-turn plastic bases that mount into the back of the face panel, and I didn't feel like trying to resolder LED into the bases. I assumed that the bulb assemblies were custom-made for Hyundai and didn't bother to look for aftermarket ones to fit.

Be aware that some LEDs don't dim the same as the bulbs if you adjust the lighting with the dimmer; I found a blue LED that fit in the light on the cigarette lighter, but it doesn't dim as much as the bulbs do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts