Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Low is a Lifestyle
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so i know how the button works, the fact that it allows me to shift, but is it an electronic button, or is it a mechanical lever setup. I want to replace the shifter with an aftermarket knob so if its a momentary switch i have enough electrical/tech knowledge to take a shifter knob without a button and install one, but if its a mechanical setup that sucks, cause I'm out of luck.

·
VIG
252 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's mechanical.

If you take off the plastic cover around the gear selector, you'll see that there are little grooves where the button has to be pushed in to be able to move into and out of certain gears.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
You should be able to feel that it's a mechanical lockout... especially how you have to press the button in further to get from 2-1 than you have to press to get from 3-2.

What were you thinking of putting on there? I was rocking a shift knob that looked like a Momo Sphere but was set up that you push down on the knob to activate the button and shift.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I dont even have to push down on my button,to only when it is in park I have push it, otherwise it just slides from L 2 3 D N

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
You can't go from 3 to 2, or 2 to 1 without pressing the button. D to 3 is fine.

·
VIG
252 Posts
And you can go from D to N...I've accidentally done that a couple of times and had no clue why I was slowing down.

You can go from 1 to 2 to 3 to D to N without pressing, but you have to press to go from 3 to 2 to 1.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My friend bought a sock puppet of some sort to put over his shifter...but that's on a manual shifter. you can try and put it on it too maybe? XD hahaha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts