Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am curious to know how far can an engine run without rebuilding. My engine odometer hit 323,000 miles and it still runs strong, but I want to know when I have to rebuild the engine or replace the car because the cost for engine rebuilding may be prohibitive. New cars are good, but it costs too much to pay the monthly installment. Also newer cars are sophisticated electronically too much and there is little room for DIY'ers. For example, my wife's 2014 Sonata has no transmission dipstick and the bottom of the vehicle is entirely covered with a panel and I have no idea where the jacking points are. Maybe cars before 2006 year model are DIY'ers friendly?

·
im still a junior member?
261 Posts
I was surprised when u told me in my post how many miles you had on your car. Is it on its original transmission? The autos usually die early in most fwd cars, I noticed on my bell housing under the coil packs some paint pen writing. Either it's been replaced with a JY part or they wrote the car/mileage on it during a clutch swap... which is unlikely unless it was at a shop for awhile and they labeled it to not get confused(never seen this, just a thought)
I hope I get 325xxx outta mine! What all have u repaired? I just put a new driver side axle in today.
If your car is running good, not smoking or atleast not too bad, I say keep up on maintenance and it should last awhile. Unless it blows up(unlikely if u take care of it), itll last awhile, provided u fix it as it goes.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Oh, thank you so much for your comment. You are the only member who responded after 365 clicks since I posted! I am the original owner of the car and I did mostly regular maintenance. I have never had transmission issues. I posted 10 minute complete transmission flush DIY here years ago and I think it helped since regular drain and fill-up can replace only 60% of the fluid. My engine burns no oil, no smoke, still runs 30-33 mpg. Now it just hit 324,000 miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts