Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Well, I guess if you take care of it right it could last forever. However, I'm banking on getting about 150,000 outta my Elantra. After that I'm sure it'll still be running, but I'll be n something else.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
well I'm surprised that mine has lasted this long. I beat the $hit outa it dayly and its at 80K KMS

if memory serves correct, Dave had his up in the 250's mile area last year when I was down in PA.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Yea, 10 years... at current driving (about 15000 a year) 10 years will put me at 150000, at which point I'll be buying something new. That will have let me drive it for 5 years without payments, making it very easy to throw something down as long as I save right. But, if I get any SERIOUS problems after the 100000 mile warrenty, I'll prob. dump it off then. I should hit 100000 at about 7 years. I think as long as the car lasts longer than payments it's a happy deal.

·
Registered
429 Posts
i'm gonna keep mine untill the payments are done. i have another 4 years to go. and at this rate (23K miles the first year alone) i should have close to 100K miles on her. my milage will go down a lot once i move back home and stop my 1300 one way trips twice a year.

·
Old timer
298 Posts
Well, I am at 60,000miles in less than 2 years, 120miles a day 6 days a week will do that, and I am planning to have the highest mileage Elantra in the US. I am still getting 32 1/2 MPG as well.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'm on track to be at that same milage. 2 weeks and I already have almost 3000 miles. Driving a lot runs in the family. My dad put 52000 on his S-10 in the first year.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
that is actually a pretty vague question. If you dont wreck and take care of it and acts of God dont destroy it it could last forever. If any of those things come into play it may not last more than 1hr, 1 day, or 1 week!

·
Golf Addict
212 Posts
Is the motor just as durable as a Toyota, Nissan, or Honda motor? I'm hoping to get at least 200K out of mine.

-Roy

·
EVERYONE LOVES HYPNOTOAD!
1,361 Posts
Roydjt said:
Is the motor just as durable as a Toyota, Nissan, or Honda motor? I'm hoping to get at least 200K out of mine.

-Roy
motor is usually not the problem in Hyundais, the Trans is. My excel went through two of them, 97 elantra needed a new one when we traded it in. Buddy at work had 200,000 on his 96 Elantra and the motor was great but it was on its 3rd trans.

Now that we live 5 miles from work we only put 6000 or so a year. So we are hoping for 10 years at least for hers(last 4 years being driven by our daughter, it will be her first car), and mine may never be traded in.

·
2004 Elantra GLS
80 Posts
I am starting to believe that you can say the transmission is the part to worry about on every car out there. Each car I have owned, at each forum, its always, the motor is not the thing to worry about, the transmission is!

Now this is not to say that I dont agree, because I do, the transmission is always the weak part, but I think its important to remember that that is a universal trait among most cars out there today.

And again as always...maintenance and luck are the main factors in how long anything will last...

·
Registered
84 Posts
my 99 elantra with 103k is on its 3rd tranny.
i also had this for only a year.
hows that for a ratio

·
*BARK*
155 Posts
My 01 Elantra, 53k Miles, 2nd Engine... I'm planning on keeping this car forever. It should last me well threw college and since it's paid off the money I was thinking of spending on an 05 GT will be going into savings for a house. :D And since the engine only has like 15k miles I should be set... I wish I had that 100k/10 Year warranty though. :mad:

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
Its weird thatall these trannys are goin out. U guys beating them up bad or what?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts