Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to paint my elantra black, and i wanted to know how much do u think it costs to take the old paint off, then paint it black

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
It depends, a lot. Maaco could do it for $250 or something, but chances are it'll be the worst paint job ever. I have heard that if you do all the prep work that they can do a paint job that isn't too bad. Otherwise you'll have to go to a reputable shop, and that could cost from $500-2000 (or more if you get some crazy paint).

What color is the car now? Why do you want to paint it? There is probably more reasonable mods that you could do with the money.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i was thinking about maaco also, but im pretty sure the $250 is only painting over the original paint, and i dont want that.

The color it is right now is Gold, and the reason why i want to paint it black is because i want to tint the windows, and blackout my taillights, and i just dont think it'll look right on a gold car

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I think it would still look good if you left it the Gold color. As far as the full paint goes, it will be costly to get it done right. Super is right, you are looking at upwards of 1000-2500 to have it painted the way you would want it. Just check the shops in the area, and start saving! Good Luck.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
Dont you dare paint that car unless you have it done right. If you try and do a cheapie job on it it will look like hell and it will cost a fortune to get it fixed.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
You're better off selling the car and buying a black one if you really want black. Everything will suck with a color change. The engine bay will still be gold, along with the door jams - unless you take everything apart, down to the basic frame, and then start painting. To have it done 'right' I think we're talking upwards of $3000. If you did go that far, and then just choose to use a normal black paint - you're dumb. Not to call you names, but if you're gonna spend that much, get a custom pearlized or metallic paint to make the car really stand out.

Cheapest option = sell the gold car, buy a black one.

·
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea, i guess your right. I think i'll just keep my car gold, even though i really want it black, but o well....and about selling it and buying a black one, ur right about that too, but i wouldnt want to do that, cuz i never had any big problems with my elantra, but if i buy another one, u never know with cars, what kinda problems they can have

·
Registered
732 Posts
yeha, I had a friend who took his truck to a place like maco, and they painted over dirt and everything. He had big chuncks of paint come off from where dirt had gotten into the bed on the way to the painter (he lives in the country).

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
this could have been a total nightmare. Chalk up 1 more intervention for the EXD team!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
i need to start reading previous posts before i give the same info twice haha.

as far as those custom crazy colors that change in the sun go, i think that's over-kill for an elantra class vehicle. example... there is a guy around here with a color changing paint job that cost him something like 12 grand. He drives a cavalier... When your paint job excedes the value of your car it's generally time to rethink what your goals are here. Oh and this guy doesn't do shows or anything, he just drives around the mall. I guess it all depends on whether you're serious about competing with the elantra or not.

·
Calf...Ankles...Cankles!!
12,676 Posts
GOD PLEASE DONT GO TO MAACO...i wrecked my car last month, and took it to them...insurance had around 900$ for paint and labor and all that good stuff so i asked them if they could repaint the whole car black (same color) with their signature series (highest service) and they said they could do that...first problem - told me 4 days, took 9...2nd - they painted over dirt...theres bumps everywhere (taking it back tomorrow morning 4 weeks after i got it back to get it wetsanded and buffed) 3rd - they did no sort of sanding before they painted it, except on the hood where it was damaged from the wreck...i can see where it was sanded from the lines and where it wasnt...i can see dips in the paint from where i had rock chips they just painted over....then, they didnt fix my allignment and i had to take it back they day after i got it back...god it was horrible...if you go to maaco, i will have to slap you in the head with a dead fish...dont disrespect your car like that...the window tint will look good on a gold car....dont know about the tails getting blacked out...just my opinion

·
Registered
384 Posts
Not to mention a complete repaint will destroy your resale value. Even having one panel of non factory paint cuts it down considerably. A complete repaint (especially a color change) will lower the resale value about 30-40%.

Leave it gold, or sell it and get a black one.

Personally, I would leave it gold - be different! There's a ton of black XD's around, but you don't see hooked up gold ones that often...

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
evan938 said:
GOD PLEASE DONT GO TO MAACO...i wrecked my car last month, and took it to them...insurance had around 900$ for paint and labor and all that good stuff so i asked them if they could repaint the whole car black (same color) with their signature series (highest service) and they said they could do that...first problem - told me 4 days, took 9...2nd - they painted over dirt...theres bumps everywhere (taking it back tomorrow morning 4 weeks after i got it back to get it wetsanded and buffed) 3rd - they did no sort of sanding before they painted it, except on the hood where it was damaged from the wreck...i can see where it was sanded from the lines and where it wasnt...i can see dips in the paint from where i had rock chips they just painted over....then, they didnt fix my allignment and i had to take it back they day after i got it back...god it was horrible...if you go to maaco, i will have to slap you in the head with a dead fish...dont disrespect your car like that...the window tint will look good on a gold car....dont know about the tails getting blacked out...just my opinion
It depends on the shop regarding paint work. Maaco does not prep the surface. They scotch guard it; in other words, they lightly scuff the surface then painting over that. Other shops do prep it better, but don't take the time to detail it right.

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
I've always used the body shop at the Hyundai dealer. The one I go to does a very good job and they supposedly have the exact paint mix on the shelves for Nordic White. The only problem is that they charge an arm and a leg. I just came back from there for an estimate. My front bumper is badly scratched and they're going to charge me $363 to repair, prep, primer, and paint it (I'll be doing the removal/installation myself). Ugh... oh well -- sometimes you have to pay for quality.

·
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
wow, now im glad i didnt go to maaco and get that cheap $250 service done,if there best service was that bad, the cheapest woulda been horrible

Good lookin out ppl

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
For a complete paint job, I charge $3,000 at a minimum. I completely strip the car, reprime it with a quality primer, seal it and put a nice base and clear coat over that then detail it so no flaws are evident. After I'm finished, the car has a flawless finish with zero ripples and flaws. This is the standard my shop has when we paint a car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts