Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to the head tech at my local dealer, and he told me this little story.

He said, that at the end of last year, a car coasted into the dealer that had stopped running on the access road in front of the dealer. When he walked over to the car, he immidiately felt a lot of heat coming from the car. When he started messing with it (4 hours later) he burned his hand on the Intake Manifold. It was still that hot. The next morning, he started diagnosing, and when he pulled the lower radiator hose, aluminum started falling out. After removing the head, he noticed that all of the piston rings were gone, and the pistons were warped. The engine literally melted. When he asked the guy what happened, he said that he didn't know, it just quit. He then asked if he saw the gauge move at all, he said "what gauge?". Enough said. The only reason that the car quit running is that the air intake hose got so hot that it melted closed, and stopped the air-flow.

Now how in the hell did this guy not know that something was wrong with his car? And the saddest thing, is that the car was just 2k past the warranty.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, all of the oil that was in the engine had baked itself to every available surface, and the water had of course boiled out (without notice from the driver). The only thing he could find in the engine that could have caused it was a stuck t-stat. This just goes to show, that some people have no business behind the wheel of a car.

Oh and a side note, they guy said that he would never buy a Hyundai again. He still thinks that this was the car's fault! Ahhh...

·
Golf Addict
212 Posts
04 elantra cvvt said:
This just goes to show, that some people have no business behind the wheel of a car.

Oh and a side note, they guy said that he would never buy a Hyundai again. He still thinks that this was the car's fault! Ahhh...
Dude doesn't deserve a Hyundai anyway. :headshake

-Roy

·
Registered
670 Posts
Roydjt said:
Dude doesn't deserve a Hyundai anyway. :headshake

-Roy
Aint it the truth.

So lemme see if I understand what happened. The thermostat was stuck shut, which in turn let no water through. That raised the temperature of the engine so much that any water boiled out and the oil was baking onto the engine which made the temperature problem that much more and with all that, the the engine melted.

Do I have it right?

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
dragonfighter60 said:
The thermostat was stuck shut
Essentially, that would be the cars fault.

However, he should have noticed a problem and prevented it from causing the magnitude of damage that it did.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I think it is a testament to the quality of the engine that it ran as long as it did! That sort of thermal overload doesn't even happen in factory torture testing. Aside from which the idiot should have noticed the temp gauge riding all the way over on H anyway.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dragonfighter60 said:
Aint it the truth.

So lemme see if I understand what happened. The thermostat was stuck shut, which in turn let no water through. That raised the temperature of the engine so much that any water boiled out and the oil was baking onto the engine which made the temperature problem that much more and with all that, the the engine melted.

Do I have it right?
You got it dead-on. The engine literally melted. Like I said, three hours later, the engine was still hot enough that it burned the tech's hand. Oh, and BTW, it was not the stock t-stat. He said that it ad been replaced by some other mechanic. I think what ultimately tipped the guy off was that the knocking from the engine finally over-ran the radio.

·
no longer a newbie :)
600 Posts
another reason why people should be killed :D ....if they cant operate a car and bring it to a mechanic when necessary

(I dont even require that they work on it themselves...just that they respect their vehicle and care enough to learn a little about it)....anyone who just has the mentality of "turning the key and the car works, all day, everyday, withour any intervention from me" is an f'in idiot :mad: .....some people cant even pump their own gas..... :( :( :( :(

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
hahahahahha

I have another story to go well with this one.

On my way home from work yesterday i saw a Saturn sl2 (the little sporty 3 door) sticking out of a building's front full pane window.

Needless to say i had to stop and find out htf anyone could have done this.

Turns out, they were at the doctors office and got some medicine that makes you drowsy (frost top here people 75+) and put the car in drive instead of reverse and floored it, smashing through the doctors office they just left.

man i wish ya'll could have seen that. oh boy

shawn :)

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
A guy I work with son called in 1 day and said dad my car is broke I dont know if I can make it home and his dad said what is it doing? His son replied well everytime I come to a stop and try to go again this light comes on that says LOW TRAC what does that mean? I never freakin laughed so hard in my life! I told him to ask the kid if he was getting any torque steer when that happened but he had no idea what i was talking about. needless to say the kid wore his tires out in about 15000 miles!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
southpawboston said:
if the car had been running just before the guy pulled into the dealer driveway, why was the guy headed to the dealer in the first place?
He wasn't. He was actually going to the McDonald's accross the street when the car died, so he pulled into the dealer and started fussing.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
watson80 said:
A guy I work with son called in 1 day and said dad my car is broke I dont know if I can make it home and his dad said what is it doing? His son replied well everytime I come to a stop and try to go again this light comes on that says LOW TRAC what does that mean? I never freakin laughed so hard in my life! I told him to ask the kid if he was getting any torque steer when that happened but he had no idea what i was talking about. needless to say the kid wore his tires out in about 15000 miles!

I'd be laughing my ass off if somebody asked me that. No wonder the tires did not last. To many burnouts. :abovelol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.