Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really wanting to get more bottom end torque for better cruising on the highway and MPG. I have heard that some headers can give you more HP but not much Torque, and some are tuned to give better Torque.

Is there any bolt on parts that can increase torque?

I have been looking at intake manifold spacers and throttle body spacers as well. What kind of power does those give HP or Torque? And who makes good spacers?

·
Noob (play gunbound?)
1,336 Posts
My cold air intake and ported/polished Intake manifold helped a bit for torque, but you won't find much out there short of turbo/supercharging/nitrous that will give you oodles of torque...

What really helped free up torque for me was the underdriven crank pulley and light weight rims. The car definitely felt like it had more torque after that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My cold air intake and ported/polished Intake manifold helped a bit for torque, but you won't find much out there short of turbo/supercharging/nitrous that will give you oodles of torque...

What really helped free up torque for me was the underdriven crank pulley and light weight rims. The car definitely felt like it had more torque after that.
I don't need or have the money for turbo. I just want a bit more torque. Did you just do the drive pully? or all with accessory pulleys too? How much did it cost to port polish?

·
Noob (play gunbound?)
1,336 Posts
Yup, did all the pulleys. I found a set of OBX on Ebay for about $40. about 90K on them and no problems so far (knock on wood).

I had the port and polish (Stage II) done by carbonman. He did a great job. I can't remember the price though, but it was not too much.

·
Just the facts please ...
1,030 Posts
You might think about getting a fuel tuner ... SMT8T is a good one. There only a couple hundred bucks and can be used for anything you do on the car in the future.

You can lean out the cruising range a bit and richen up the heavy load sections ... besides, they're fun to play with, as long as you don't get to crazy with it.

·
Lord of Chaos
781 Posts
You might think about getting a fuel tuner ... SMT8T is a good one. There only a couple hundred bucks and can be used for anything you do on the car in the future.

You can lean out the cruising range a bit and richen up the heavy load sections ... besides, they're fun to play with, as long as you don't get to crazy with it.
Huh? So that's atuning chip, right? And it allows us to get better gas mileage, more power, more torque or let us tow easier? All with a few button presses? I'll ave to look into that.

·
Final Fantasy 7=Teh Sex
3,840 Posts
Lightweight rims decrease rotational mass, you don't gain anypower by them, they just require less power to move them, thus the butt dyno feels like you have more power.

I would recommend the under drive pulley the most, the other accessory pulley's don't do much. Also, a cold air intake would benefit you as well if you don't have one, you will get some increase power and better fuel economy. Ported and polished intake manifold's are nice, but Carbonman has been MIA for awhile if memory serves correctly.

·
Newbie Forever
887 Posts
The reality is that the torque you are looking for is not easy to get out of the engine. Torque is not for cruising on the highway and peak torque always uses the most fuel. The other issue is that increasing torque NA will reduce it in the lower RPMs (where you would be cruising on the highway) and push the peak, while greater than stock will be at a higher RPM range.

All the suggestions above, except for FI, will not amount to much and you will feel no difference. I noticed you are in Utah. Higher elevations reduce power in an engine big time. Turbos and superchargers work well at high elevations.

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
Supercharger.

·
Noob (play gunbound?)
1,336 Posts
All the suggestions above, except for FI, will not amount to much and you will feel no difference. I noticed you are in Utah. Higher elevations reduce power in an engine big time. Turbos and superchargers work well at high elevations.
True about the elevation, but the butt dyno is very subjective. I did indeed feel a noticeable difference with the pulleys and rims (which I did around the same time). Did not make torque, but freed it up. The CAI and IM I felt more at mid/high end (HP), but that's subjective too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts