Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

How do you remove the bulb for the night time driving (H7) on the Driver side? ITs so damn tight! Also I see this GOLD clip pushing it down. What must I do??

·
Registered
384 Posts
Just take out the whole headlight assembly. It's only held in by three bolts and it's MUCH easier to replace the bulbs with the headlight out. Also, all of the aiming is done within the headlight assembly, so you don't have to worry about messing it up.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
NO you dont have to take the whole assembly out. Remove the little screw on cap on the back. that lil gold clip has a spring on it when you push it down it releases. then just pull the bulb out and replace. I changed all 4 of my headlight bulbs in under 10 min. without taking the whole assembly out!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Watson, it's doable, but he was complaining that it's a tight squeeze to get the bulb out on the left side so I was giving him an alternative ;0)

It's very easy to change the bulb the normal way on the right side, but I can understand his frustration with the left side.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
yeah i understand the situation. i just think that the lil squeeze is more convienient than taking out your assemblies. Only my opinion thats all! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Although it is a little more work to remove the assembly, it is a lot better for the bulb. If you touch the bulb, or scratch it on the way into the housing, it will severely damage the bulb, drasticly shortening the life of the bulb. Any scratch or fingerprint is devistating. With the assembly out of the car, you have a lot more control over the bulb. And as easy as it is to remove, it is worth the time. Just take two minutes and a 10mm socket, and save the life of your bulbs.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
Yeah you could have a point there....I can agree with that.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Why not just take it back to the dealer, I believe the warranty on the bulbs is 60k. 5 minutes later the bulbs will be replaced and off you go...save you about $30

·
Registered
276 Posts
either way, call your dealer and ask, the worst they'll tell you is that it is out of the warranty period for the lights, I pulled the battery when I replaced mine, but for some reason they would only shine about 5 feet in front of the car, I don't know if I had them sitting in there correctly or not (that's before I found out about the bulbs being under warranty)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Honestly guys it takes less time to take the whole assembly out than it does to fittle around with it in that tight area... it takes about 1.5 minutes to take it out and put it back in agian that's 3 minutes total and when the guy at the counter says "dont put your finger on the bulb this time" you can say well this is how i did it last time and does it look like my finger is going on the bulb. and he says wow that's got to be the easyest bulb installation ive seen yet. and i'm liek well why do the sylvania silver star bulbs burn out so quickly then he's like well if that's how you installed the first one i dont really know b/c they should have lasted longer.. ive gone through 6 bulbs in 10 months I think next time i'm going to Plain ole stockers b/c even tho the silverstars have a 1 year warentee and i only had to pay for one set which cost me about 65$ Canadian .... It's not worth the hassle anymore !

sorry i'm bitching...

JC

·
Registered
670 Posts
Ill throw a quick intro then ill get to the topic at hand. Hi, Im Geoff from Illinois and I have a stock 01 elantra GLS. ok there. I have found the easiest way is to remove the whole assembly. I've done it both ways and you risk screwing everything up if you do it in the cramped engine bay. just take out the assembly, take off the cap on the back, and undo the left and right screws. dont mess with the bottom one because that will mess up the alignment or something. I had the light pointed straight down until I learned to take out the whole assembley. After I learned that I replace my passenger side then fixed my driver side and it all works properly now

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Try having to replace them for the first time in the rain.. Ehh.. that sucked. Was heading home and blew one. Cops are nuts about that... esp in bad weather.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, After a long debate. I didn't even remember I posted this. Well I removed the assembly out that took no more then 2mins per light. That gold clip is messed up and I don't think it would have came out if I just pressed it. Cuz you still have to slide it a bit for it to come out or else your just pressing down on it which does nothing. If you never seen how to clip is made then it is possible you can be playing with the damn thing and never get it released. Taking out three scerws with a 10mm and unpluging two plugs is alot easier.

·
Banned
4,074 Posts
Jesus guys!!..How many XD members does it take to tell this guy how to change a lightbulb?...LoL....Its simple,just unscrew the big black caps and pull the wire off the bulb,release the gold looking clip and pull the bulb out!!...DONE!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts