Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this over on SS and thought I'd import the discussion. It's a module for a Heads up display on the windshield. Kinda pricey, but I didn't know they made aftermarket heads up displays.

http://www.tmtuning.com/accessories/ac_166.html

·
Registered
275 Posts
What, no weapons "lock on" for enemy Migs or hondas? :tongue: But if the only thing it displays is speeed, i would spend my dough elsewhere.

Greg

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, pricey for speed on the window. It would be neat if you could project the tach up there, all you manual trans guys could get your shift points down without ever taking your eyes off the road.

·
Too much time spent here.
1,258 Posts
I was in a Buick Rondevous once and not only is the speed shown on the HUD but also the time, temp and Radio displays. Now if that was offered in this unit it would be more worth the price.

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
Heck, all that is is a very bright LED display panel hooked up to a speed sensor(the display is reversed so that when it reflects on the inside of the windshield it's right side up and reads left to right). If you get a digital tach or digital speedo, you could build your own "HUD" to hook into it for about $20 in parts for the display.

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
Yeah, hiding the display so it didn't show from the outside would be the trickiest part. A simple shade blocking the front of the unit wouldn't work because it would still have to be shining up at the right angle to reflect off of the windshield so the driver could see it.

Perhaps some technique using polarized film would do the trick. Another neat thing for daylight would be a TFT LCD film that stuck on the windshield similar to those see-through clocks.

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
I'm sure southpawboston would have some ideas. I'm not all that electronics literate, but I think what you would need would be a digital speedometer unit, then either a very bright LED display or the see-through LED display.

Usually, each segment wires to a contact near the edge of the display, so if you wanted it to be reversed, just wire it reversed. I haven't seen any LCD displays on my normal overstock electronics site but they do have three digit LED displays (http://www.excess-solutions.com/displays2.htm#3-Digit_Displays). I don't know how much trouble it would be to get into the stock display and connect to the existing wiring, though. It might take a very fine touch with a soldering iron to do it right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts