Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who did this, did you put a resistor on each individual LED, or just a single resistor to the main power supply cable? Just wondering this now, my LEDs are in the mail and I'll be doing this the second they arrive. Also, what 'size' resistors did you use. I want all my ducks in a row so the install is as smoothe as possible.

Thanks

·
Registered
880 Posts
this is what i did. i got my LEDs and resistors from http://www.lsdiodes.com/. they have a tutorial on their site http://www.lsdiodes.com/tutorial/ i used the calculator to figure out what spec resistors i would need. i don't remember the details right now on what spec resistors i used. come to think of it i might not have used any. anyways. the hook up was like this. 3 series with 4 LEDs in each. drill sink holes in the clear plastic peace agains each of the icons on the dials. drop the LEDs in there. i think you need 10 between the speed and vent selector and 2 for the temp selector (1 red + 1 blue. for this one i drilled the sink holes in such a way the the LEDs would be almost parallel to the face of the the selector and not perpendicular like on the other 10) connect those 12 LEDs in series of 4 and solder each of the group of 4s to the closest power source (the contacts for the original light bulbs). what i did is i think i soldered 1 of the series to 1 power source and 2 others to the 2nd one (that makes it a parallel chain consisting of two series). i used the 3rd power source to do the backlight for the AC, Vent, Defrost cluster of buttons. i got lazy there and used just one LED that i shaved to get better light disepersion and the appropriate resistor. i know this all sounds kind complicated but i'm having hard time describing this in words. if you were only in pittsburgh area i'd spend some time with you when you were working on this. hope this helps

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After reading that, it sounds like you won't need any resistors as long as you use series of 4 LEDs to drop the voltage to 3v each.

Did you put the RED in the same series as the BLUE? Or did you do the RED individually?

·
Registered
880 Posts
no the red was in the series with the other 3 blue LEDs. i don't remember if i used a resistor on it or not....red LEDs usually have lower passthroug voltage...but not by much...i think i just said f*** it since it's still within the specs or barely over

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I'm having trouble getting the HVAC apart... all of the DIY's i've found are for 04+ and I have a 01... Any tips from those that have done this would be greatly appriciated!!!

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. It's easy. Take it out of the car. There are phillips screws on the back side of it, unscrew all those. The 'mechanical pieces' either unscrew, or unscrew then twist out. You'll have to remove the knobs first though, they just pull. Then 'unclip' the casing and you have it apart. There are additional phillips screws holding in the circuit board.

Basically, if there's a screw, take it out.

·
Member Extraordinaire!
532 Posts
So people are using red and blues instead of the UV LED's? I have been trying to figure out what to get to change all the backlights on the ABS/TC button and Trip/Computer button.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
all of the cutting, dremel work, and gluing is done.... I think i'll leave the soldering for tomorrow.....

BTW..... the dremel work was to cut out the plexi behind the knobs.... I'm putting a red LED in each...

I'm going to change the ON LEDs for A/C, recirculate, and defrost too.... all to blue...

<UPDATE>
I had trouble de-soldering those.... so I think I'll just leave them alone...

·
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
622 Posts
u dont need to desolder them, i just cut them down to the base but left like a quarter of an inch if the Old leds metal and soldered the new led on the old ones base, way easier then desoldering

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I would but......

and the back...

Ideas and suggestions welcome.... I have the LEDs, just not sure about how to go about it...

·
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
622 Posts
Those plastic casing are VERY easy to get off, this is what you do
1) Cut the very tip of the led off (it looks like there isnt enough room but there is)
2) just easily take the plastic casings off, by pulling them up, you will be left with the Metal stands the Led had

---Also Take note which way The positive and negative is facing

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
of course... can't believe I didn't think of that!

next question.

Anybody know the polarity of the bulb contacts on the 01-03. The DIY shows the 04, but the board is different. Picture included for your convienince. :)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts