Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been trying to sell the rims/tires from the Elantra. It's been a pain in the ***.

First, someone here on the forum wanted them. I thought: That was simple and easy. Then the deal fell apart, so he's not buying them. Damn. Less than 24 hours later another member of the forum and I make a deal. That was easy again, I think. He paypals the money over on Friday, I plan on taking them to UPS on Monday. Sunday night comes and he contacts me asking to call off the deal. Apparently there is a family emeregency and he needed to fly home. I'm not a dick, so I agree and refund the money.

So I list them on Craigslist. Right away I get a response and go back and forth with questions and answers with a guy. Again, I think - wow, that was fast and easy. Then he tries to trade me a old laptop with the selling point of "it's got Windows 7 on it." I check ebay and see the same model all over for about $75-$100.

Later that night, someone emails and says they live in Bollingbrook (close), and want to come look at them. They ask for my phone number. I reply... nothing. I send another email later, no respsonse.

A few other people email asking if they are still available - I reply and get no response.

Thursday evening I see that Gmail on my Blackberry is showing a new email. It was from about 24 hours earlier - doh. A guy left his phone number, so I called it. It was a doctor, message was complete with "if this is an emergency, call 911. If this is an office matter please call xxx." I leave a message. I get a text back later saying, "sorry, I was in a hurry to get wheels and bought another set." Damn

Then, I get a call from the person that was in Bollingbrook. Something about email problems yadayada. She, yes SHE, wants to come out on Friday (yesterday) to see the wheels. Ok. We setup a 5:30 time. She's going to call me for directions on the way. I never get a call. About 5:45 i call and the phone just rings into voicemail. After 6:30 rolled around - I was like **** it. She called about 7:45, to say that she found a differet set of wheels on Craigslist and was on her way to pick them up. Thanks for that.

So, I relist the wheels. At about midnight, as I was about to go to bed, I get an email that asks if they are still available - I reply. At 1:54am, I receive teh following email:
Hi,
Thanks for the response.I am willing to pay your asking price.I will pay by money order as its the only way i can pay you at the moment.I would have loved to come take a look but i am presently out of town on an assignment.I will not be back in town soon. I dont mind adding an extra twenty dollars so you can keep it in my favor,Please send me some pictures.I hope it is in good condition.Reply with your full name,cell phone number,and address where payment should be sent.I will let you know how i intend to go about the pick-up.Please take the posting off craigslist today and consider it sold to me.
Expecting to hear from you soon.
Obviously a scam.

I hate people

·
Calf...Ankles...Cankles!!
12,676 Posts
whats odd, is i was just getting ready to post a thread exactly like this...check this out...decided to sell a canoe i bought earlier this year. i bought it for a literal steal, so i figured i'd list it for a few bucks more than i bought it for and make some money off it. i figure if not, oh well, but if i get more than i paid, sweet

HIM -
Hi there:

I was just wondering if you still had the canoe. I could give you $300 for it if you still have it and would consider it. Let me know.

Scott

ME-
i'd be willing to do $300. i got a little bit of a busy schedule, but would saturday around 1 work for you? if not, im a bit of a night owl and could even do after 915 tonight, after 9 tomorrow (fri)...not sure about other times on saturday yet, and possibly sunday morning.

HIM-
Unfortunately I am out of town until Monday. I can do Monday though after 4:30. I would like to look at it first so if you get a better offer before then I would understand you selling it. I'll contact you Monday and if you are still willing to part with it for $300 then we will meet up ASAP.

Take it easy.

Scott

ME-
i'll let you know come monday if i still have it, but during the week, like i said, i'm hardly at home til late night

thanks

HIM -
Hello

Apologies for having to reach out to you like this, but I made a quick trip to London,United Kingdom and had my bag stolen from me with my passport and credit cards in it. The embassy is willing to help by letting me fly without my passport, I just have to pay for a ticket and settle Hotel bills. Unfortunately for me, I can't have access to funds without my credit card, I've made contact with my bank but they need more time to come up with a new one. I was thinking of asking you to lend me some quick funds that I can give back as soon as I get in. I really need to be on a last minute flight that leaves in a few hours.
I can forward you details on how you can get the funds to me. You can reach me via as am logged on via a smart device
Thanks

Scott

(UGH!!)

ME-
ah, so you're a scammer. i may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night.

eat a dick. dont email me again.

·
chef 4 life
5,781 Posts
This has been happening here with rental houses. People are stealing the pics and info from the actual realty companies, and reposting them on craigslist with an unbelievable price. The numbers are linked overseas, so there is no way to prosecute, or find, the people doing it as of yet.

·
Super Moderator
4,858 Posts
Haha Craigslist... I have the same feelings toward it. Kijiji has been largely trouble-free recently.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only Canadians use Kijij. I know nobody here that uses it - listings are also very sparse on it. Still, maybe I'll try listing there as well.

---------- Post added 07-17-2010 at 10:40 AM ----------

Had someone call and want to trade me a Civic turbo kit for them. sigh.

·
Shadow Ninja
353 Posts
The best of EXD would be great since i've been trying to get rid of a header for a while and just got sick of posting it over and over again. Man you should have bailed that guy out who was stuck in the UK, that one totally sounded legit to me. I can honestly say i've only used craigslist once and that was for my 88 comanche and I have no plans on going back to it.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sold 2 jetski trailers on Craigslist before - no issues. It was actually ideal. I posted them, people responded, showed up, looked at them, paid cash, and the trailers were gone. I've bought from Craigslist before too no issues. It must be something to do with who is the target market for certain products. Then again, I would not think a canoe would be ideal flag for a "help I'm trapped in Europe" scam.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Mike and Evan, haha, great stuff.

We (which is to say my wife) used Craigslist to buy a piano and then sell the same piano a year later. I'd say 5 people expressed interest in buying it and came to look at it. Finally someone actually interested bought it and had a piano moving company pick it up.

We've also sold some cheap Ikea type furniture and an old TV without trouble.

I've never tried to sell something myself. I use eBay (even though I hate Paypal now) or just take the stuff to the Salvation Army or wherever.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I've had no good experiences from Craigslist either.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I posted it on Kijiji (or it's actual name: eBay classifieds). Got a response today, it was a low-ball offer. Countered the offer and heard nothing back. Logged on to see the actual message, since I was using my blackberry - it was a [email protected] account. So, an account from Germany. Goddamn Europeans and their scams are not doing anything to help my perception of them.

·
Elantra04
1,009 Posts
I've sold and have bought off craigslist plenty of times and yeah you get the occasional scammer but after those douches the rest is fine. Same like ebay, ebay has them too it is just harder for them to perform. As long as you don't do stupid [email protected] you are safe. My dad is like the old type fart and is like no no email no ebay no online buying for me. he heard once of a man who was called and told that he had one 1 million dollars and they just needed his contact info to send him correspondence and also some info to maintain security. The questions included the last 4 of the social, his mother's maiden name address, etc. etc. etc. next day he goes to the bank and he has been cleaned out. Not to be mean but who the [email protected]# was the idiot to give out information to some random stranger that is normally used for identification purposes.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
i too dislike it!! i get fishers all the time when i post up and add to help people out. Or i get people that want to call me directly...sorry but i'm not putting my number out there for just anybody to get a hold of it. if you want/need anything email me what your problem is and then we can talk. but just randomnly send me an email saying you want my number.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ooh! A guy just called me from my Craigslist ad and wants to come out and see them. He's in the City - so that's like an hour drive. I emailed him the directions. He said he was going to get cleaned up, borrow his brother's van, and give me a call back. I somehow feel this is still going to fall apart.

He wants to put them on a 1992 Corolla - which will look retarded. But, I don't care - the bolt pattern fits. Uglyness and speedometer being off by 8% are his problem.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
lol good luck with that dude

·
Super Moderator
4,858 Posts
Ooh! A guy just called me from my Craigslist ad and wants to come out and see them. He's in the City - so that's like an hour drive. I emailed him the directions. He said he was going to get cleaned up, borrow his brother's van, and give me a call back. I somehow feel this is still going to fall apart.

He wants to put them on a 1992 Corolla - which will look retarded. But, I don't care - the bolt pattern fits. Uglyness and speedometer being off by 8% are his problem.
The fact that he's not driving out in the car to install them on is a red flag to me, but I guess if he is buying them it's easier to transport them in a van.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Done deal. Met him half-way. He got arrested and while he was locked-up his car got broken into. They took his deck, amp, subs, and rims. So his car was up on blocks.

·
Super Moderator
4,858 Posts
LOL. sounds like even in triumph this was a great story. Congrats man.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
You should have pulled a gun on him and robbed him of his cash. You would have had the wheels and cash.

I'm sure you know I'm joking.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts