Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Elantra SE, with an OEM GPS/Radio/XM/CD/MP3/Bluetooth unit. Car is four and a half years old, with 40,500 miles and it has never given me a lick of trouble...until now. The other day, I ran some errands with the radio on. After finishing at my first stop, I turned my car back on and noticed a few moments later that the Hyundai logo remained on the screen longer than usual (screen worked fine when I started the car initially that morning). I could still hear the radio, but ALL the buttons on the unit (as well as the corresponding buttons on the steering wheel) had NO effect when pushed (the only control that still worked was the volume knob on the dash). Nothing I could do would have any effect on the unit, not even turning it off and on, fully or partially.

After some preliminary research on the internet, I tried all the usual suggestions: removing the fuse, disconnecting the battery, etc. (Note that this model year does not have a "Reset" button on the unit.) Disconnecting the fuse/battery only resulted in the radio presets from likely disappearing and the audible radio station defaulting, presumably, to AM530, so now all I hear is static.

Nest stop: the dealership. Took the car to the Hyundai Service dept. at my local dealership and had them take a look at it. After a half-hour of waiting, the employee came back and told me that not only did the warranty lapse for this particular issue (he said it expired at 30,000 miles) but that any kind of replacement unit from Hyundai was "not available". His only suggestion: find a like Elantra at a salvage yard, pull the radio and install it in my car. (What the...?) What particularly annoyed me was that the guy acted like this was an unremarkable event AND something he had never encountered before, if that makes any sense at all. Frankly, I was a bit stunned at his overall attitude. He wasn't rude, but he didn't seem terribly empathetic either.

So, what can I do? Am I really SOL? Is there any recourse Hyundai-wise, or am I doomed to install some sort of after-market product in my merely four year old Hyundai? I'm going to be brutally honest here--this event is not doing much for my consideration of purchasing another Hyundai anytime soon. (Or am I overreacting?) Is it normal, for ANY make of car in the 2010s, for a Radio/GPS/CD, etc., to just...stop working, period, after so little time? Is this to be the norm in the 21st century?

Please give me some advice! Is there anything else I can try that I haven't tried to fix the unit I have? Or if I AM doomed to have to spend hundreds of dollars on an after-market replacement, does anyone have any suggestions on a particular make/model, or an installer, etc.?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Personally, if I bought a new car buying and high quality aftermarket stereo system would be one of the first things I would do. Head unit speakers amps everything. But if you want to fix it take it to another dealer. Maybe they just don't care that much at that one.

I am surprised they would tell you to look into a salvage yard. I mean, how many 2010's are there in a salvage yard?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am surprised they would tell you to look into a salvage yard. I mean, how many 2010's are there in a salvage yard?

YES! I thought the exact same thing as soon as he said it. I reiterate that I can't seem to get over the idea of having my factory-installed radio, etc., just quitting out on me and being told my only recourse is to replace it entirely at my own expense. Again...this for me is not the greatest incentive to trade-in my car someday for another brand new Hyundai. As you suggest, I will now try the Hyundai dealership/service center 15 miles away in the other direction.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
We have three dealerships near me. Garden Grove, Cerritos, and Long Beach and they offer different customer service. I have an 02 Elantra and my wife an 08 Elantra. We have been to all three for various reasons, generally just maintenance. The Cerritos dealership was awful, they didn't seem to care about anything than having her trade in her just paid of 08 for a new car. She kept telling them she didn't want that, she was just there to pick up a sun visor replacement that was still under warranty. They kept trying. All they wanted was a sale, not to give good customer service.

The Garden Grove one is okay. Nothing bad, nothing great, just okay.

Then there is the Long Beach dealership. They are awesome. Too bad you don't live near one like this one. All they care about there is customer service. I now only take my car to that dealership when I need to. No pushy sales people there.

Maybe you will have better luck at the other dealership. All it takes is one person to care about the problem you are having and to want to help. Let us know how it goes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts