Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK - I've been thinking of doing something that no one else here in Aus has done yet before getting my interior retrimmed

What i want to do is mount a laptop in
Yeah yeah i know been done but NOT the way i want to do it

I want to get a laptop and dismantle into pieces so when you open the glovebox you'll find the keyboard and touch mouse pad - Not just sitting in there but moulded in there flush on a panel

Now for the screen i was thinking of cutting a section on top of the passenger dash out around 50mm bigger than the actual laptop screen, making a new fibreglass panel and mounting monitor underneath it
Now this is where it dumbfounds me
I was thinking of putting this panel on some sort of motorised track so when you turn computer on it would open the panel on top of dash to vertical position revealing the screen
The whole dash is getting retrimmed in leather so no need to worry bout different material looks etc

The main CPU side of things would be mounted underneath keyboard in glovebox but the DVD drive could me mounted in middle of dash somewhere - maybe under stereo in spare DIN enclosure

I can see a lot of benefits here - you would have access to internet anywhere by mobile phone, games aplenty for passenger to play on journeys, DVD movies, MP3 storage by the thousands, could set up a satellite navigation system and maybe even engine tuning software installed and permanently connected to your cars computer for tuning

But most of all it would be VERY unique and sure to win a lot of votes at future shows
What you guys think?
You think it's feasable or am i just wasting my time

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
You're wasting some money... you could prob. save a lot by using desktop components (MB, processor, Drives, etc) and setting them up in your car with an LCD screen. Laptops are too pricey for this application IMO.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I need to look into this a lot further
I looked at passenger side of dash today and i don't think there will be anywhere near enough room to install screen there

I thought of having it drop down from roof but i think a screen that size just wouldn't look right

SED

That was my next thought but honestly how big you reckon icons and information would be from websites etc?
I think it might be lil hard to read - What you reckon?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
this is slightly off topic, but this is computer integration like i've never seen before! also, don't laugh at the car, it's a former east bloc car (tatra), really old design, but not bad by 70s standards. be sure to check out the completed photos. he even made his own custom wood dash. the guy who did this has some MAJOR skilz...

http://www.mujmac.cz/art/hw/tatra_mac_eng.html

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I don't think it will be hard to read at all.. I use winamp and linux and its fine, it looks like 800x600 on a 17" monitor

shawn :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just have to ask this one question...How long will it take the computer to go from Off to Able to Use...cabling will probably be your biggest issue, might have to splice a couple together...

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Well, your boot time will be about the same as a 'normal' computer (dependent on memory and processing speed)... BUT, it won't have so many devices and drivers to load up, since it will be basically 'stripped down' to run only what needs to. So it should be slightly faster for a total boot.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Have you thought of mounting a flip up LCD to the Dash? and then using the TV out from XPC-form factor PC, or laptop? What are you wanting to use the Laptop for? I'm assuming you have the passanger air-bag turned off.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
my car doesn't have passenger air bag so that didn't matter
I'm thinking of now either doing something like sed has done or buying an alpine flip up lcd
computer will have same boot up time as normal as i want ALL functions still connected

OK - I've found a monitor that doesn't look too bad but i haven't heard much of them so was wondering if you guys here would have any insight

Anyone heard or seen these?
On ebay here

If these aren't any good there's couple more i'll post up

UPDATE

ok looks like i might be going for the Alpine touch screen monitor
Alpine also have control box which will make integrating my computer to the system a sinch
Let you know more on all this on Monday when i get some prices for the monitor

1 - 13 of 13 Posts