Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
19 second madman
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my girlfriend's high school teacher had the audacity to say that wings on airplanes served no purpose other than to hold engines. I simply dont understand it, how can a man that teaches calculus be so far out from reality? and the worst part is, she beleived him!? i was telling another friend about it, and he was like "yeah troy, i just dont see how a wing would work to make a plane fly". so then he asked his really smart co-worker, and "wings just create balance". are these guys really fucking serious? how can so many people be so misguided on such a universal idea? if you didnt know that wings on planes cause lift while in motion and you are offended, tough shit, this is the flame forum.

·
Registered
429 Posts
wing cause lift becuase the pressure difference between the top and bottom of the wing are different. if there wasnt' a difference there never would of been an air plane that copuld lkife any higher thatn the qwright brothers;

·
19 second madman
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
she asked some of the other kids in the class, and they agreed with what she said. she also said this guy was formerly an engineer...well lol, now we know why he didnt make a profession out of it. she isnt stupid, she just lacks practical application knowledge sometimes. she graduated number one in her class, and the friends she asked were numbers 2 and 3 out of 500, so they're not dumb either. i wish she was still in school, I'd go up there and ask him WTF he was talking about. he's right, planes could fly with just engines, but they would be a hell of alot less efficient (helicopter). lol, the engines would be pointed at a 45 degree angle to keep it flying level....thats alot of wasted energy...
and as sarcartic as I am, I would hope that my girlfriend could figure it out if the teacher was being sarcastic. maybe he was trying to get them to think outside the box, and forgot to tell them that he wasnt serious about planes. its crazy that people would beleive something like that though.
www.howstuffworks.com has an explanation on it, and I told her to read it. she said she read it and continued to dispute what I had said. I asked her if she read all of it, and she said yes. I asked her how many pages there were, and she said one. LOL, theres like 30 pages on the subject, I told her to go read it again. fortunately she knows im right now, but wow, alot of work to fix a misconception that a teacher gave her...and that fucker didnt even give an explanation as to why he was right.
and even then, my other friend thoguht that wings had nothing to do with flight...I really need to find some more intelligent and mechanically inclined friends. i know lots of guys who are into cars, but alot of them are stick dumb and dont care to improve their knowledge on why thngs work on cars, etc. so I doubt that they'd care about how wings generate lift

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
ask this teacher about the bernuli princaple....

uh difference in air pressure and air speed creates lift/drag/vortices.

jeez

shawn :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
first off~

vabeach_03 said:
if there wasnt' a difference there never would of been an air plane that copuld lkife any higher thatn the qwright brothers;
what?! lol

second~

what the hell kind of engineer was he?! my mom works with a bunch of em and she's always sayin that they lack common sense so maybe he does fir the description...

·
19 second madman
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol, I told her to go look for an airplane forum

·
Registered
429 Posts
Beth.... that is what happens when you get drunk and start posting. i honestly don't remember posting that one.

·
Registered
429 Posts
yeah. should of seen some of my other posts or other sites

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
04 elantra cvvt said:
:wtf: Does this mean that if I strap an engine to my back that I could fly? What is this guy thinking? Engineer shmingineer :wtf:
Well actually yes you would fly but more like a rocket instead of a plane.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts