Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ilanpro or Carbonman,

I need some suggestions about how to installed the CF Gauge Pod, I recieved mine last Thursday and I was wondering how hard it was to remove your stock A Pillar. Also what did you use to secure the A Pillar to the car. If you could get back ASAP.

Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
The stock A-pillar just has some plugs on the back of it holding it up, so all you have to do is grab it from the top and pull it out. Depending on if the new A-pillar has the brackets on the back to hold the plugs, you can take the plugs out of the stock, put them in the new one, then pop it back up.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet! Thanks man! Hopefully this will be easy!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the pod dosn't have any mounts to connect it back in, but I'll try and see about double back tape.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
to remove the OEM pillar save yourself some hassel and lower the door trim molding in that area to get better access for your fingers. WAY EASIER.

Double sided tape will probably hold for only a little while but when it gets too hot it might loose its grip.

At the top though you will see that the door trim molding covers a portion of the pillar once installed. This is the prefered screw/drill location for those who have the fiberglass versions. I think this is how Ilan installed his too.
Use a small self taping sheet metal screw in that section and your gold. PRE_DRILL the pillar though to prevent any cracking and do NOT over tighten for the same reasons.

And lets see them pictures ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Or you can do what I did: cut off the top-most plug (and it's holder thingy) and epoxy that bad boy to the back of the new A-pillar. It plugs in like normal.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Very good idea, I like that alot
the POTENTIAL issue with that though is that epoxy doesn't like to "stick" to plastic very much, so unless you have it essentially locked in or encapsulated around the plastic bit it may come off/or loose.

I think I'll try a way to use atleast the OEM plugs for future pillars, but its tricky to do that clip me thinks

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Sweet! Now all you need are the CF C-pillars that should still be in the marketplace. Nice work!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
its not in perminent yet, so its still just double back taped, but, yesturday it was 89 Degrees in Seattle and melted the glue loose. :) So I'm debating on cuting the mount off the stock A Pillar and attatching it, or asking some of the guys at me dads work to fabricate me something. *They do Fiberglass Yachts* and some work with CF. Or I'll stick a screw in.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
Sometimes liquid nail adhesives lose their adhesion as well. If Craig can manage it, adding the stock clips should work. However, making that curve and recess is not easy.

BTW, Craig, as long as we are into fabrication, have you seen the DIN sized gauge pods that fit below the radio?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
However, making that curve and recess is not easy.
ya I have thought about attempting to make a mold for that or mocking up a bent section. But durability would be troublesome I think. Plus I think its just easier to add a small screw out of sight on the top. IMO anyway :)

have you seen the DIN sized gauge pods that fit below the radio?
Yup ??

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
carbonman said:
ya I have thought about attempting to make a mold for that or mocking up a bent section. But durability would be troublesome I think. Plus I think its just easier to add a small screw out of sight on the top. IMO anyway :)

Yup ??

I think the fiberglass/cf material might be a bit thin to manage that and be stiff enough to hold up (as well). I haven't taken apart the interior of the XD yet, but I think the pillar goes over the top molding. I'm wondering if there is a way to extend the pillar to go behind the top molding instead of over it, which will make securing it easier. I haven't talked to Tim about the installation when he was here Tuesday.

Reason I asked about the DIN gauge pod (below the radio) is it can be another option, but doing it in metal would look odd. I was thinking of having a texture similar to the dash (can also be cf). How easy would that be to fab up?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts