Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was thinking to change the front brake pads of my 2003 Elantra soon because I am hearing the wheels rattling when I put brake while driving. I had the brake job done by myself a few years back, but I need to refresh my memory. I just found a very excellent instructions to change Elantra brake pads. Here is a link. Click http://www.cockeyed.com/lessons/brakeshoes/brakeshoes01.shtml

---------- Post added 10-22-2010 at 09:38 PM ----------

After I changed the brake pads, the brake pedal was very spongy. I ended up bleeding the brake fluid from four wheels. I didn't open the brake hoses. This problem happened every time after I changed brake pads. I have no idea why I have to bleed brake every time. There are one-man bleeding kits sold in the auto parts store, but they didn't work well. It is hard to bleed without a helper. Also the order of bleeding is confusing.

Last winter, my brake failed in the cold morning. I could not make a stop and I almost hit other cars. After pumping brake pedals for several minutes and engine was warmed up, the brake began to function normal. It looks like moisture build-up in the brake fluid is frozen in cold morning and causes failure in hydraulic pressure. It is said that brake fluid is hydrophilic. I had the entire brake fluid flushed at the Goodyear tire center last spring for $100 and I hope this problem will not happen again this winter.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have found out that Bendix Brakes is offering up to $30 rebate for their brake pad products until the end of October. It's a good chance anyone who has procrastinated replacing brake pads. Take advantage of this chance and change brake pads on your cars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts