Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Golf Addict
212 Posts
Back in the olden days, modified asian cars were called "rice burners" based on the myth that they ran on fuel extracted from the Oryza Sativa plant of the grass family Graminae. Okay, I made the rice fuel part up, but the "rice burner" part is legit.

-Roy

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Yep, rice burner was the term for all asian-made automobiles, it must have morphed into meaning 'rediculous modification' when domestic-drivin-thugs started laughing at modified imports... 'till thos modified imports started beating up on the domestic-driving-thugs.

errr or something like that

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
I saw the most ridiculous page a year or so ago that tried to make the point that "ricer" is not a derogatory term against any particular race. The moron completely danced around the notion that the cars were called rice burners because they were Asian, and presumably lots of Asian people eat rice in many different forms. Really, I'm not sure it's derogatory and inflammatory, just kind of a blanket term for a style of modification and lifestyle made popular with Honda Civics.

Now, my wife makes plenty of ricer jokes, but she's half Chinese, and drives a Hyundai, so its okay ;)

·
Registered
732 Posts
I think it's only derogitory to the morrons that make their cars rediclious.

I remember when they were called rice burners because they didn't have much power, and they were made in Aisa.

Now people involved with Moding use it to describe the outlandish modifications that morrons do to civics. IMO

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Yeah, I hope I didn't leave the wrong impression -- I fully think it's a goofball term.

·
Golf Addict
212 Posts
I don't care what the ethnicity of the person driving a car may be, a rice burner is a rice burner. It has nothing to do with who is driving it at all, it has everything to do with the unappealing modifications done to said car.

Similarly, I don't that the the word "ni---r" is derrogatory to african-americans. I see the behavior and appearange of what I percieve when I think of the term "ni---r" in wite people, black people, asian people, any urban wanna-be thug.

Perceptions and colloquialisms evolve with society.

-Roy

·
Registered
732 Posts
Exactly, It has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with attitude. My Fiance' is Asian and she can't stand other asians sometimes, just like I can't stand some white people.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
also, before the car thing, asian motorcycle were called:

pocket rockets, rice rockets, crotch rockets. I guess the rice stuck more

shawn :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts