Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I can't figure out the search feature in the archive shoot me. I was just wondering if the intake spacer gives noticeable gains in power/torque. I realize that any improvement will be small at this point but any info is appreciated. I'm gonna buy one anyway just wanted to ask. Also is installing that thing a real PITA or no? Does the fuel rail etc. have to come loose or does the spacer fit under the surge tank? Thanks guys in advance, Ross :D

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
It fits between the intake manifold and the head. The gains would probably be pretty minor but alot of people have said that they can put their hand on the IM after a couple hard runs and not get burned where without the spacer the IM was pretty damn hot.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Groovy! Maybe that will lower my underhood temps enough to help my overworked fan. Since I put the header on it gets plenty hot under there! Can't stand the look of thermal wrap either but I might have to do it for horsepower sake

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its basically a fibre spacer that you put between the engine block and the intake manifold. It allows the intake charge to cool as it enters the cylinder head, thus increasing HP. Carbonman is selling them, check the Marketplace forum!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
oh is that whats called the phenolic spacer? i think thats how you spell it? where exactly is the im and what is its correlation to the throttle body? or are they one in the same? im confused pics? how much of an increase by the way?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
lol, JOKE ..... easily adds 60WHP no question lol ..... JOKE!!!!!

Marked gain in seat of the pants is not there, however, keeping the air colder (doesn't COOL it) will allow the engine to breath better and make more HP due to denser air. This should be coupled with an intake, exhaust, BIM etc etc etc to acheive full gains

conservatively say it allows or frees up 5 HP

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The IM is what your trottle body is attached to Only sixty WHP? What a ripoff! On the website they said 100! (JOKEJOKEJOKEJOKEJOKEJOKE) :D :D

·
19 second madman
2,506 Posts
felixr said:
oh is that whats called the phenolic spacer? i think thats how you spell it? where exactly is the im and what is its correlation to the throttle body? or are they one in the same? im confused pics? how much of an increase by the way?
yep...thats what its called. no one cares how to spell it, its close enough. where is the IM? Thats your intake manifold. its correlation to the throttle body? directly left of it (when looking at the engine whilst standing in front of the car) its the silver thing that the TB bolts up to. I think the gains would be minimal, but so is the cost. hondata also makes one for our cars.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
wow, what a diference some time makes . . . i didnt even know where the IM was or how it worked in conjunction to the TB lol

i know 100 times more info than that now lol ive been reading up and learning and working on my truck and doin major mecahnical repair on my own since then . . . goes to show, you can do whatever you set your mind . . . ooh pretty baloon! . . . huh? what was i saying?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I definetly would be interested in a before and after dyno of someone with a CAI and a Spacer installed. Our intake manifold get to dam hot under even normal driving. Im sure if we could get some sort of group buy going a few of us would be interested included ourselves.

·
In da game for a while...
1,635 Posts
I'm down...

·
In da game for a while...
1,635 Posts
KeWLKaT said:
WOW SLOW DOWN THERE GUYS

the spacer does not give HP

it just makes sure that your im stays cooler than normal after the engine gets HOT

your drag runs would stay consistant....
Well if your IM is cooler then the air temp must be cooler as well yielding some gains I'm sure

·
Mad Scientinst
338 Posts
pjc6281 said:
I definetly would be interested in a before and after dyno of someone with a CAI and a Spacer installed.

I can tell you that if you took your car to the dyno and made one run, then added the spacer, you would see no gains.

If you raced your car and an identical car with the spacer all day, and quickly strapped them to the dyno while they were hot, you would see an improvement with the spacer. As far as drag racing goes. Unless you make repetitive runs with no time in between, you're not likely to see any gains. Basically, the spacer keeps your performance from deteroriating as the engine builds heat - it dosen't add power per se. *see disclaimer*

I can personally attest to the difference in temperature of the intake manifold to touch. After you get out of the car, you can pop the hood and practically grab the IM.

Your underhood temperature is not affected. If anything, since you will burn more fuel and make more power, you could argue that the underhood temperature will increase. However, your intake charge is much more dependent on the temperature of your intake manifold, which stays cooler.

The pheonlic spacer is superior to a throttle body spacer. First off, if the intake manifold stays cooler, then so does the throttle body. Second, your intake charge spends a minimal amount of time in the throttle body compared to the volume it must transverse in the intake manifold. Take home message, don't waste your money on the throttle body spacer.

Install difficulty/time. The first time I removed/replaced my intake manifold, it took about 90 minutes. The second time, it took less than 40.
I recommend reading fordfasterr's DIY here: http://www.elantraxd.com/DIY/imswap.php

You will also need to purchase an extra intake manifold gasket - I would suggest buying TWO new ones and replacing your old one.

Personally, I would set aside roughly 4-5 hours and while you have the intake manifold out, port the runners if you have the proper tools. I did this and also took the time to match the gaskets to the spacer and the intake manifold. See (warning 56k): http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7198

* Disclaimer on not adding power * Technically, by adding the spacer, you are effectively increasing the volume of the intake manifold. I do not know exactly how this affects your power curve, but I have read some theory about intake manifold design that leads me to believe that that the torque curve might be broadened, (but I won't swear to that). I think that taking the time to port the IM will make much more of a difference.

Hey Troy- Have I missed anything good?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts