1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Rebuilding the XD
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
371 Posts
lol, well, being honest here, I turned my needles bright blue with about $10 ;)

I see no point in paying $60+ for that (granted a I have a tiburon, but the concept is still the same, pretty easy to do as well...)

as far as the whole see through gauges, that is a neat idea... I do like that...

·
Registered
371 Posts
04 elantra cvvt said:
How did you do this by the way?
well, for the tiburon's I do a bunch of LED lighting and started more of the LED diy's... because unlike the elantra's the tiburon uses more LED's than bulbs, esspecially in the gauge cluster...

There are smt led's behind a prism that cause the glow of the stock color (orange in case of the tiburon) then you have the needle itself...

you replace the smt led's with blue smt led's (soldering small ass led's is a pain in the ass) then get the needles sand the back of the needles so they are clear then evenly paint he back white (or any light color that will reflect light good, silver and white would work the best imo)?

Here's a old picture of my needles, back when I first did it:

Since then I redid the needles sanded em properly and did a better job on painting the needles as well as getting some brither smt led's :)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
since that doesn't apply to the Elantra (using LEDs:()
In addition to having 194 LED replacments. What I did was remove the needles and scrap the orange paint from the back of the needles. Mask off the sides with 3M tape, then I used a translucent metalic blue airbrush paint and lightly painted them with a small paint brush (q-tip would have worked too)
If you can't/don't have airbrush paint you can make your own by reducing it to the transparency that you like. If you want darker, just do another coat.

·
Too much time spent here.
1,258 Posts
You should put that in the DIY section Carbonman. That may be something people would like to do.

·
Rebuilding the XD
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes make a DIY im gonna be doing my gauges soon and that sound like a good idea.

·
Rebuilding the XD
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know to change the needle color you have to paint the needle but how would you get that neon glow effect that the needles in the pic have? I want those!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts