Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a picture of as it is right now. I still need to finish painting the center cousel (by the shifter), the vents on the top of the dash, and the vent by the stupid hole on the passenger side. It's more of a light gray than flat silver, but that's hard to tell in a picture. I also still need to install the HVAC indiglos, but am waiting on the mythical splitter that's supposed to be in the mail.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
hey dude, looks nice . . listen let me ask you a question . . im in the middle of painting my dash . . . what kind of paint is that? and is that the picture making it look like that or is that pretty much what it looks like? i like the way it looks smooth . . instead of "spraypainted" you know what i mean? how'd you do it? thanks

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes, it pretty much looks just like that, only the camera flash made it appear a little lighter in color. The paint is Duplicolor Truck Van & SUV paint, in GMC Light Slate. It's an exterior autobody-type paint. Lacquer-based. I put down 2 coats of primer before the paint. The paint is 2-3 coats thick. There are 3 coats of clear lacquer on top of the paint. For the 'smooth' non-spraypainted look, I had a secret weapon. After the paint had dried for about an hour to an hour-and-1/2, I used a CLAYBAR. It's the same thing as using rubbing compound or ultra-fine sandpaper, but seemed easier to use than those things. Remember: I used a lacquer... if you're using an enamel, drying time will be different and need to set longer.

Oh yea, I also put on a coat of liquid wax before I installed it.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Lookin damn fine man! Nice nice work. :bowdown: :bowdown: Say hey where'd you get those doors LOL I like the way you chose to do the paint, leaving the vent surrounds dark: really works, me likey

·
KDM to JDM.
6,437 Posts
Looks like my interior! :D Except I used spray, and you used exterior paint...hmmm. How well do you think that stuff will hold up in the summer? Will the wax melt or anything?

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
I think it looks great, now do you want to do mine for me? I always have trouble with the patience thing when it comes to painting. But serouisly it does look really nice.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
i always thought using clearcoat would give it too much of a plasticy(pronounced plasticky) shinier than i want it to be look . . is there such a thing as a matte clearcoat? or just something that would keep it from looking like i spraypainted it in my back yard and like it has 2 inches of acrylic over it???

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are plenty of 'matte' or 'satin' clear coats. What makes something shiney is a smooth surface. Clear Coats increase shine as they are a good self-leveling material. A little rubbing on top of that to smooth it out even more, and it shines like the outside of the car.

As for the mattes and satins, they simply do not 'level' as well, so that light is not reflected off an even surface, thus reducing shineyness <-- that's a technical term :). Putting a clear, regardless of satin or gloss, will help the durability of the paint.

Keyan- I expect it to hold up just like the outside of the car. It's basically the same paint method as is used on the autobody work. The wax won't melt, just like it doesn't melt off the outside of the car when it sits in the sun.

2GTS- If your serious about looking for some help (or someone to do it for you) you're only like 30-45 mins away from me. So long as schedules permit, I'll give ya a hand.

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
Damn it, I replied and then it's not there! Anyways I am really thinking handing you some $$ and letting you work your magic. I want to paint the interior but I'm not interested in any screw ups like my past painting attempts have resulted in. I can live with the thumb print on the fuse box under my hood but I'd be pissed if I did that to the dash fascia cause it still doesn't look right half the time when I try to sand out my mistakes and try again. I'll have to see how much money I have when I get back from Vegas but I think we'll be talking about this again soon.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds good. Whenever you're ready, let me know.

·
KDM to JDM.
6,437 Posts
hyunelan2 said:
Keyan- I expect it to hold up just like the outside of the car. It's basically the same paint method as is used on the autobody work. The wax won't melt, just like it doesn't melt off the outside of the car when it sits in the sun.
Boy I feel stupid. I wont even explain how I came to that conclusion---err...eh. yeah. Me stupid.

The dash still looks good tho.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts