1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Better to do it every 3.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Hell, monthly if you'd like.....I don't think it really matters how OFTEN you apply wax (I mean like the minimum amount of time to wait between waxes) - actually I just raised a good question....does it hurt the car or paint to apply wax as often as weekly?

·
Too much time spent here.
1,258 Posts
No it wouldn't hurt the paint, you are just applying wax over top of wax. Just make sure that the surface is clean before applying wax or else you may end up with undesired marks inbetween wax coats.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you only wax or seal every 6 months you don't have to worry about a wax buildup because there isn't much left. If you use a natural carnuaba wax, you should re-apply approx every 4 - 8 weeks depending on climate and polish before the first application and then every other time before you wax, that helps prevent any buildup. If you use a synthetic sealant, re-apply approx. every 4 months. Remember, you can't add layers of the "All in One" products because they remove whatever is left from the previous application. If you not using an "All in One", use a polish first, then apply the sealant. Some like the effect they get from layering a carnuaba wax, like "P21S" over a synthetic sealant, like "Autoglym Super Resin Polish", which are very compatible with each other. That way they can apply the synthetic 2 - 3 times a year and re-coat with the carnuaba every 4 - 6 weeks. Once you get your car in shape, it's much easier to maintain. Waxing more frequently isn't really necessary, but it doesn't hurt the finish as long as your not using an abrasive polish or compound. Happy Waxing!

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
As far as wax buildup, I typically avoid that by stripping the old wax using a dish-washing detergent (I like Sun-light, or Dawn). Then I re-apply a fresh coat of 3M liquid wax. I usually wax in Early Spring (like March), Late Spring/Early Summer (June), The End of Summer(Aug-Sep), and right before the first snow to protect it over the winter (end of OCT/NOV).

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
I wax my car about once a month and I havent seen any damage to shine or paint yet. Wax your heart out!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts