Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
no longer a newbie :)
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am planning to purchase new front component speakers in the next few days (I returned my Infinity Kappa 60.5 set after hearin about the "blistering highs") and was unsure of the quality of certain brands after learning of "rebadging inferior products" and companies being sold. :(

Anyways, I wanted to know if the JL audio components (especially the xr650-CSi or vr650-CSi) would be anywhere near as good of a choice as Diamond audio components or Focal components.

I only ask because the JL set can be had for $180 new, while the other sets will run me $300 or more. BTW: I am running 80W x 2 from a A/D/S PQ-10

THANKS

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had JL Audion for a while. They're OK. Also had JBL and Boston Acoustic. My favorite to date are my MB Quart's

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
pq-10: nice amp. i run one of these.

another thing to remember is that a lot of the "high end" names have come out with low-cost models to help broaden market appeal. so while JL still do make top-end speakers, their lower models may not keep up with the reputation of JL "old school" models. same can be said for focal. they are among the top 5 in the world for SQ, but they also now make a low-cost model ("access", or "A" series). so it's buyer beware.

you may also consider cadence speakers. they make top-end home speakers, and just recently began selling car speakers (cadencesound.com), so they are poorly known. they can be had for $100 and have gotten pretty good reviews, comparable to a lot of speakers costing $250 or more.

another option is to wait for a pair of "old school" a/d/s 320is separates to pop up on ebay. they are the world-class standard, and are no longer made (a/d/s was bought by DEI, and have gone down hill). if you can grab a pair for $100 or so, you'll make out like a bandit. but be warned, they like a lot of power to sound good.

·
Hyper Auto Club of Qld
34 Posts
I have a set of vr600's in the front and JL 6x9's in the back. I can't praise these speakers enough, I think they are the best sounding speaker I have had in any car for their price. If you go JL, and you run a decent amp behind them, I think you won't be dissapointed. I have a write up in the DIY for a speaker adapter, they are for my vr600's if you wanted to have a look at them.

Good luck with your choice.

Rob.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
you can get hex series diamond audio off ebay for about 300...one of the best set of speakers i have ever heard. or even the M5/6 components are very good as well...Jl makes good subs...but i would not use them for components especially if you have a decent amp with good SQ ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts