Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Woohoo! No more payments
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would like some opinions on this. I like the idea of chrome outside door handles but would having chrome sidemolding too be too much?

Ruahighlander, I hope you don't mind I borrowed your pic for this photochop.

I'm sure it can be accomplished any number of ways from covering it in chrome tapelike material - probably most cost efficient. To replacing the sidemolding with an aftermarket/universal one. All I can think of right now.

Attachments

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
i think the chrome side molding would be tough to make it look right!

·
Poster God
531 Posts
to each is own it look pretty good, i used to love a lot of chrome back in the day of my honda, but now a little bit of chrome to me makes a big statement but it looks good.u might lower it and i think it would be golden

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hitman, I dont mind at all, I used HatchetMans handles for that pic...you used my car....were all one big family :D. I have to agree witht the majority though...the chrome side molding seems to be a bit much IMO.

P.S. thanks for the new springs LuckyDvl I been wondering what it would look like lowered. :nosthumbs

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
:headshake :pukeface: :kick: :stupid: :bang: :poke: . . . .hope im not being too rude . . just wanted to express my feelings . . lol just messin with ya . . but seriously, dont do it

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
I think you should shave the sidemolding completely. Except that I'm not sure how much work that entails... once you rip the sidemolding off, it might not look so good under there, lol. Sure would look nice if it was gone and everything was smooth along the door though.

·
19 second madman
2,506 Posts
I have to express the same feelings as felixr, I really think that the door handles look like shit too. I have no idea why people feel like if they have chrome in the wheel well that they need to "tie" it in somewhere else. there are lots of cars with chrome wheels that look good without plastic chrome shit stuck all over them. chrome accessories all over the outside of a car seem to be how people with a shitty car talk themselves into beleiving that they are in an escalade. I think that the chrome accessories (save the wheels) make a car look like trash.

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
^ Are you sure you want to offend someone named Hitman???

·
Registered
212 Posts
tharptroy said:
I have to express the same feelings as felixr, I really think that the door handles look like shit too. I have no idea why people feel like if they have chrome in the wheel well that they need to "tie" it in somewhere else. there are lots of cars with chrome wheels that look good without plastic chrome shit stuck all over them. chrome accessories all over the outside of a car seem to be how people with a shitty car talk themselves into beleiving that they are in an escalade. I think that the chrome accessories (save the wheels) make a car look like trash.
I used to have your same feelings on this, then I put a poll up about it. After seeing other peoples ideas and reasoning I decided to go ahead and get them. Now that they are actually coming, I'm a bit excited I think the look grows on you IMO, but hey whatever works for you. :D

·
19 second madman
2,506 Posts
SWortham said:
^ Are you sure you want to offend someone named Hitman???
lol, im sure that his chrome wheels will slow him down, and my car should hopefully be able to outhandle his when my tib struts get put on ;)

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
its probably too much 4 an XD....and btw the name Hitman is cool I think

·
Woohoo! No more payments
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have to admit that you can get carried away with chrome accents. The same goes with everything else like vinyl stickers to carbon fiber to neon.

I guess it's just finding that combination that works which usually means that you might have to sacrifice 1 piece for another. Car color makes a difference too when adding chrome I think.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i didn't read any of the previous posts here beacuse there were a lot and, well, i'm lazy, so if this was already stated please disregard. I think the key with what you're going for here is balance. Right now there is a high concentration of chrome on the inner/lower part of the car, spreading it out more will help achieve a much more esthetic appearance. The chrome side molding isn't hidious by any means, but right now it's "OC" without something on the outer/top edges area. That just my opinion...

also... clear bumper lights would look much better with your chrome.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think that replacing the whole side molding with chrome would be a bit too much, but I have been toying with the idea of putting a very thin strip of chrome along the top edge of the moldings. Does anyone have any ideas how that might be accomplished?

Thanks,

Wil

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
If you just wanted to add a 'strip' on the molding, you could always go with vinyl. They make chrome in vinyl rolls (I have some, haven't used it on anything though-bought it on sale) available at autozone, pepboys, etc. It's not expensive, but won't last forever, so just redo as necessary. It's one cheap option to see if you like it anyway. What about the chrome-clad molding for the Sonata? It's available in many of the same colors as the XD isn't it? Just another thought.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts