Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I replaced my driver's side CV axle last week. There is an excellent video teaching the procedure step-by-step at Youtube. It helped me a lot. He jacked up the driver side side rail used to change tire and only half quart of transmission fluid spilled out during the procedure, because I think he tilted the transmission away from the axle opening on the transmission. I was thinking to jack up this point, but I was afraid that my car may flip over. Instead, I jacked up the regular front jacking point where a hook is attached to the frame. It was more stable. However, I lost lots of transmission fluid: 4 quarts. It's O.K. because it's almost time to change trans fluid. But my concern is the correct jacking point. I understand that side rail of the vehicle next to the wheel well meant for tire change only. Is this safe to use this jacking point for other purpose like suspension or powertrain repair?

·
im still a junior member?
261 Posts
I hope you arent driving your car that low on trans fluid... trust me... its not "OK"

·
261 Posts
I jack mine up from the subframe mount behind the control arm. The side rail is fine also, but I feel it is too flexible there.

·
road race warrior
297 Posts
I would never jack up a car and leave it. If you jack up a car use jack stands to secure the vehicle on BOTH sides, equally, by setting the jack stands under the same position on both sides.

·
261 Posts
Ummm....? Pretty self explanatory. Jack one side up, put stand under. Jack up other side and place another jack stands under that side

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
No. The jacking point on the side I'm talking about is for changing a tire. Nobody jacks up both sides when they change a tire. Please read my question.

·
261 Posts
I did read ur post, u said nothing about changing the tire. Maybe u should read ur post again and get back to me. U asked how to put jack stands under both sides. Why even bother putting a stand under the car for a tire change anyways, especially if using the factory jack the car comes with...
not trying to be an *** but some of your threads are just plain ridiculous. If you have to ask these simple to answer questions then maybe you shouldnt be wrenching on your own cars.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I did read ur post, u said nothing about changing the tire. Maybe u should read ur post again and get back to me. U asked how to put jack stands under both sides. Why even bother putting a stand under the car for a tire change anyways, especially if using the factory jack the car comes with...
not trying to be an *** but some of your threads are just plain ridiculous. If you have to ask these simple to answer questions then maybe you shouldnt be wrenching on your own cars.
Lol.... Its not brain surgery...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts