Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figure that as much as I lurk around here (multiple times a day, every day), you all deserve to see what's been happening with my 'lantra.

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS
Automatic
2nd owner
Bought at 40k miles in October of 2009
Currently at 114.1K miles

Current mods:
Clear corner headlights with chrome bulbs.
Clear sidemarkers.
Clear doormarkers.
Flat black grille.
Debadged.
Third brakelight mod (says Hyundai).
NGK wires (already have the plugs.)
Shorty antenna.
19.2mm (Green Dot Tiburon Rear Sway Bar)with Moog endlinks.
Tiburon Raceland Coilovers fitted to the Elantra.
Tinted Tails
15" Alloy GT Rims

Currently on the way:
06 Tiburon Leather seat swap

Next on the list unspecific:
LED switchover.
Red LED gauge cluster.
HID conversion.
E-brake/Auto shifter mod.
Rear Window spoiler/spoiler.
Lip kit of some sort.
Black matte vinyl wrap.
Remote Starter.
Red Tuner Lugs.
Complete Audio Overhaul.

It looks like there's a huge-*** dent where my license plate goes. There isn't. After I took that photo, I went over and inspected it.

This one was while I was in Virginia Beach cruising around. I got an oil change and they offered a free car wash. Better than I thought it would be, but I still went and washed over what they did after. I'm a little anal about my car.

More photos for those who asked for them. :)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Looks good, I wish I had the sedan bumber, so I too could do clear sidemarkers. The hubcaps look better than mine did, my original ones were peeling apart. You are off to a good start.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
blacked out looks AWESOME! my only real criticism is that ive never lkiked when people black out the crooked h. my vote is just to pull it and/or replace it with something that looks better in black. what percent tint is that?
and i dig the clear side markers over all that black

·
Scary Super Mod
7,371 Posts
ill third this motion!
looking good the murder out look looks good!
any other mods planned? there are a few cheap mods left, kia front lip, window visors, window spoiler, swapping inside bulbs over to led just to name a few. then there are some good deals in the f/s threads too.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Looks good, I wish I had the sedan bumber, so I too could do clear sidemarkers. The hubcaps look better than mine did, my original ones were peeling apart. You are off to a good start.
I do like how they break up the black. At first I was tempted to tint those to blend in with the car, but I'm not so sure now. Ha, I tend to repaint the hubcaps every now and then, to keep it fresh.

I like the blacked out look it has to it.

I might steal your idea and paint my hub's black until I get a set of rims :p
The way I see it, it's a temporary solution to a current problem. It does the job for now. Hahaha.

blacked out looks AWESOME! my only real criticism is that ive never lkiked when people black out the crooked h. my vote is just to pull it and/or replace it with something that looks better in black. what percent tint is that?
and i dig the clear side markers over all that black
You know, I'm starting to agree with you about the grille. I think about buying a new one and redoing it, but finding something to replace it with would work as well. Now to find something I like..

And to the tint question, there's a story with that. When I bought the car, it was tinted already. As I was driving back home from the beach, I got pulled by a state cop. He said the reason he pulled me over was because my back windshield tint was illegal. Apparently in NY, you don't have to cut out the third brake light but in VA you do. He checked it and it was at 6%. Long story short, I ripped it off and had it replaced with 35%, the legal limit. My passenger and driver doors are at 52%. I miss the complete blackout of that back windshield.

Looks good. But just one picture? You can do better than that!
There are more up now. Because of the motion passed on me, haha.

ill third this motion!
looking good the murder out look looks good!
any other mods planned? there are a few cheap mods left, kia front lip, window visors, window spoiler, swapping inside bulbs over to led just to name a few. then there are some good deals in the f/s threads too.
For now, the next things on my list are replacing the accessory belts and getting me those NGK wires I've been meaning to. As for mods, I'd say switching out to LEDs and looking into those lip kits and the window spoiler. I've always liked the look of those. Oh, and a shorty antenna. I need that.

Tomorrow I planned on taking a drive in the countryside and down some dirt roads, so I'll probably have more photos to update with.

·
Scary Super Mod
7,371 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I do like how they break up the black. At first I was tempted to tint those to blend in with the car, but I'm not so sure now. Ha, I tend to repaint the hubcaps every now and then, to keep it fresh.
If you want to see how the tinted markers look just check out the pics of my car in my profile, I tinted mine a while ago. I'll actually be updating them too. I tinted the rear markers during my time off.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
YAYYY MOAR PICS!!

very cool. heh yeah see, i like the rear better with the still solver crooked h logo hah. but its such a minor thing anyway.. yeah, finding stuff to put on a grille is tough that matches the look of the car. the little crooked h feels so at home lol. like you said you could always after market grille it, but course thats not cheap unless you find a good 2nd hand deal.

the black hub caps actually turned out really good. course you could always use some black wheels to compliment the whole car :D

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, I ordered the NGK wires, cause I needed those desperately. After paying off a few more bills first, I'll be getting a jump on the other cheap mods.

songee: You are an ebay guru. I'm definitely hitting those deals up. And I would run, but I would rather do it when I've got a few more mods under my belt, make it more worthwhile in the long run if I want to run again in less than a year.

Ugzz: You're telling me. I def need wheels. As soon as I can afford them I'll be all over that.

I am thinking when I do get rims, I'll be looking for something like this:

Motegi Racing FF7 (Series MR2378) 17 x 7
They're simple and have semi-fat spokes.
I like that look.

Sooo, I took some shots today while out on some dirt trails in the woods. It was raining, but that made it much more fun.

This photo made me realize that no matter what, I NEED that shorty antenna. This is just ridiculous.

Just put this one up cause I dig it.

Look what I found at the end of the trail. I figured it would be nice to get a group photo. Hahaha.
The only traffic jam we have around here is when you get stuck behind a tractor.

And interior shots will come soon. I just need to clean it out first.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
hah! looks great, i actually like it next to the tractor. man your car is screaming for a shorty antennae. this big factory ones look so rediculous!

·
Scary Super Mod
7,371 Posts
good pick on rims the chrome will pop with all the black!
i try hit me up when your looking for mods i can find most things and im cheap so i look for the best deals too....lol
and im with ugzz love the tractor pic, the middle one looks like im hiding you cant see me, and pic one you need a shorty so it dont have that rc car look lol.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Songee and Ugzz: There actually were two tractors. My car's hiding the smaller one. And the antenna was really bugging me so I just ordered the shorty and it will be here within the week, hopefully. :) It just looks so.. DERP just chilling there. Makes my car look like an alert dog. Ew.

Next is the LED switchover.

I'm also looking into switching out the American radio for the Canadian one.
I like the symmetry more.
I'm not too positive I want to spend 90 bucks on one for now though. Buying that, plus the shorty, and the wires would be me saying "**** it" to my car insurance. You know you're a bad driver when your insurance is as much as, or more than, your car payment. Hahaha!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aftermarket units are just too.. aftermarket-y for me. I like the simple blending OEM does. Haha. But like with everything, I'll end up doing my research and seeing if there's anything out there that I do prefer.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
you can find all black ones that arnt too flashy if that you main concern. but you will hit a point where you reach.. for xxx price you can get a 4x better quality unit. and if looks are your only concern you may want functionality over fashion on this one heh.

awesome about the shorty, i think it makes a HUGE diff!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, after these next few mods already planned, it'll be a little bit until the next. Got a speeding ticket heading back from Bridgewater. 64 in a 35. Luckily for me he bumped it down to 54 in a 35, so its not reckless. Only a $200 ticket. I have to pay it only because I can't make the court date. It's the same day as my final exams. I'm bummed. ):

1 - 20 of 269 Posts