Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick "Hi"! I've been "lurking" for a few days and finally decided to register. From what I've seen so far, you all seem to be a nice bunch of folks! :)

Although I don't own a Hyundai, I am considering one. When Hyundai first came to this country, my Mom bought an Excel and she liked it quite a bit even though, to me, the build quality and longevity was really lacking. I know Hyundai has made HUGE strides in getting their act together in the past few years and so far, I can't find anything "terrible" about them...other than offset frontal impact ratings and that wasn't even "terrible".

I'm contemplating a Hyundai GT (4-door) and had a couple quick questions...

Fuel mileage - what's the "real" story? I have a slightly heavy foot ;) so I'm curious how my mileage would be. I'm in the real estate business and gas mileage is a concern when you are driving clients around all day.

Build quality - How many problems, if any, have you guys and gals had? How serious were these problems?

Longevity - Do they last? How many have cracked the 100K mile barrier with little to no problems?

Resale - How is the resale value? Searching around on places like carmax, it doesn't look really horrible.

The reason I'm asking is I have been a domestic buyer for YEARS (I've owned more than 10 vehicles, 90% of them new) and until recently, I've never really looked at the domestic market. Well, my latest nightmare, err, vehicle, is in process (this week) of getting Lemon Law paperwork started on it. It's a brand new 2004 Intrepid SXT with a pretty potent 3.5L 24-valve V6 (250 HP/250 Tq) and TONS of problems...everything from front suspension rebuild to exhaust valve rocker arm replacement (all 12!) and electrical gremlins galore.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Is $14,500 a descent price for a new GT with package 8 (loaded)?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool! The woman at the dealership told me that the $14,500 included the $1,500 rebate that is currently going on (until 6/30/04). I told her I thought $14,500 was a bit high if that included the rebate.

It may be a while yet before anything happens as I'm just starting lemon law proceedings on the Intrepid...but car manufacturers constantly have "deals" going on since it's such a competitive market these days.

Thanks again for the insight!

Chuck

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
welcome to the site chuck.

You should get an elantra.

As far as us being "nice" you haven't been here too long :)

I get 32mpg highway with my 01 gls with 78,000 miles on her.

shawn :)

·
Registered
883 Posts
Welcome Chuck. I would almost recommend a Sonata to you over an Elantra considering you are in the real estate business (may need more room for passengers) and that you last was an Intrepid. Either way, do not pay more than invoice. You can find that and lots of other useful info here. Good luck & have fun!

·
Registered
732 Posts
The day after I got my car I went on a 600 mile road trip and averaged 30MPG from Fresno to LA and back up the 101. Not bad with all of the hills. In some places I was getting 33.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts