Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Low is a Lifestyle
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i am not planning on doing this now, but i eventually would like to swap some type of more powerful engine into my Elantra. I was wondering if anyone here has experience/knowledge in this area. I know that this will be really expensive, but k20's are more powerful after modification than my 2005 engine, which is not turboed. I also like the sound of the K Series. Anyways.....i was wondering how this would be done, whether the k20 bolts on to the Elantra Transmission, and really how in general i would do this. All and any info on the topic would be awesome. Also whether a Tiburon V6 engine would be a better/easier swap. So thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
swapping to a different manufacturer will always cost you more. custom parts across the board. The v6 swap can and has been done. but for a gain of 30 to 40 horse power it is only worth it just to say "i did it". The beta 2 is a very well manufactured engine. You will spend 3 or 4 grand boosting it correctly for much higher gains. And if you insist on a honda engine, you better have lots of money. If you want to spend that much go buy a car with a k series in it already and you will get better results. If you are going to try, plan on it being a project car and not your only means of transportation. It could be months before the car is back on the road. and why start with a k20. a k24 with a k20 head is a much better combination.
You will probably get flamed for this post. Save your money and just boost the elantra. they are good, fun reliable cars.

·
2005 Member
834 Posts
swapping to a different manufacturer will always cost you more. custom parts across the board. The v6 swap can and has been done. but for a gain of 30 to 40 horse power it is only worth it just to say "i did it". The beta 2 is a very well manufactured engine. You will spend 3 or 4 grand boosting it correctly for much higher gains. And if you insist on a honda engine, you better have lots of money. If you want to spend that much go buy a car with a k series in it already and you will get better results. If you are going to try, plan on it being a project car and not your only means of transportation. It could be months before the car is back on the road. and why start with a k20. a k24 with a k20 head is a much better combination.
You will probably get flamed for this post. Save your money and just boost the elantra. they are good, fun reliable cars.
I would agree. My friend Nick Weir has a k swapped VW caddy. the first of its kind. I would be cool to see the elantra with one. Driveshaft shop would be able to make you some custom axle setup. You would have the horrible task of sorting out the wiring. The beta is a great motor. But if your looking to for power turbo is were its at. I actually have seen a EVO powered XD. There has also been 2.7 powered elantras. Possible swaps could be a 3.0 or 3.5 i have seen both swapped into a gk tiburon. All seem nice and unique and cool in there own way. But hey if the average elantra owner had that kind of money...he probably wouldnt be driving an elantra. Dont get me wrong I love my car. But I bought it because the Saab 9-3 Viggen was just a little too pricey at the time. and this was reliable and cheap.

·
Low is a Lifestyle
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The v6 swap can and has been done. but for a gain of 30 to 40 horse power it is only worth it just to say "i did it". The beta 2 is a very well manufactured engine. You will spend 3 or 4 grand boosting it correctly for much higher gains. You will probably get flamed for this post. Save your money and just boost the elantra. they are good, fun reliable cars.
haha i know people will prolly hate this post, but the main reason for thinking about doing a swap, not necessarily a k20, is exactly what you just said, to be able to say "i did it." (plus i may be getting a job soon.) i want mine to be unique. although if i can get more horses out of swapping a beta2 engine (obviously since its a 6 cylinder) i may do that instead and there might be less custom axle work done....

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
My post was misleading. to clarify, the beta is the four cylinder. The v6 is a Delta

there is a thread all about the v6 swap but the guy hasn't finished it yet. but there is good information. I think his screen name is catfish or something like that

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
there was another member that got the whole front clip from a tib and swapped everything over...Its not worth it...just turbo the beta and be done. Its lighter and in the end will cost less.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
(plus i may be getting a job soon.) i want mine to be unique.
wait...i just read that over. You don't even have a job and you want to do ten grand of work to your car...OK now i am going to officially make fun of you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts