Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went to get a keyless entry installed on my car. After the techs got the door panel off they realized that the locks were controlled through a cable system. They then told me that they cant do it on my car for this reason. I know that there are 02' GLS out there with KE, so what is different. I cant imagine Hyundai changing the entire locking system just to accomidate KE. Do I need some kind of acctuator, or what. I REALLY want KE!!! Thanks for any help :bowdown:

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
you do need an actuator for the driver's door, since non-KE XDs only have actuators in the other three doors. the installation shop should be able to hook up an actuator to the door lock switch itself (the actual switch you operate by hand inside the car), but it may get tricky-- normally the aftermarket actuators are designed to attach to existing rods that used to control the locks. since the XD is unusual in that it doesn't use rods but a flexible cable, your installer deemed it un-doable. but i think it can be done. try a different shop.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the response. I know that the cable in there is purdy thick and sturdy, you think the actuator could clamp to that?

·
Too much time spent here.
1,258 Posts
Yes, it can be done very easily, just need to cut the cable to expose the inner wire. As seen in these attachments you'll see the actuator mounted to the door frame and then a closer pic of where it attaches to the cable. I've had done this in Janurary and have had no issues with it slipping on me at all. I did however need to use a bigger screw where the cable clamp is. The one supplied with those actuators are smaller and won't clamp on the wire properly. Hope these pictures help you out.

Attachments

·
Registered
638 Posts
lil off topic here but can someone post pic of your factory actuator on your passenger door?
As your passenger door will be my drivers door that i need to do same thing to this will give me enough info on how to fit
I have to take my door trims off again soon so i'll have look at my passenger door which will be your drivers door and post up some pics of factory actuator
I would assume they would be mounted exactly same from one side to the other but in this day and age you could never be sure

·
1,258 Posts
Hey no problem. That's what we are here for.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got it done. I had to add the actuator myself (removed a section of the cable sleeving and attached the actuator directly to the cable). I was very happy when I got it back, cause i was just thinking I would get a button to unlock/lock, but the guys also did the horn chirp, light flash, and made it so when I start the car the doors auto lock, then when I remove the key they unlock. Not sure if this is their standard install procedure, or if they added the bells and whistels cause I know the manager. Either way I am very happy. Thanks for the motivation to persue the idea though :bowdown: . BRB, gotta go play with my new button. :D ;)

·
1,258 Posts
Don't break the button on your first day. :D Glad to hear it worked out, it so much better with a keyless entry solution then fumbling with the keys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts