Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Known trouble areas

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  WytchDctr 
#1 ·
Maybe there could be a section under Maintenence, care and help where you could post issues with your car so other owners / potential buyers could find out about possible inherent design flaws.

Not that there are many, but it could give owners something to watch out for, if a lot of site users are finding rust in the same area, or are having any other mechanical issues.

This might be a bit of a duplicate in a way of the help menu, but I find the help area so broad...

#7 ·
Leaking Fuel Rail Damper (aka plug at end of fuel rail). Symptoms = smell of fuel in cabin through vents, and smell of fuel in garage after overnight parking. $5 part from the dealer; warranty fixed 2x in 40K on my car.

#10 ·
Problems on mine:

- Driver's seat track bent
- Passenger Seat ABS sensor dislodged and caused lump in seat
- Rust on front quarter from bumper rubbing (apparently)
- numerous hatch leaks (all fixed now)
- peeling black tape along back edge of drivers side front door (I've seen this on almost every hatch)
- discolouration on rearmost window surround on hatch (not on mine, but I've seen it on quite a few)

#11 · (Edited)
2002 GLS
Shyte Quality Bushings (All around)
grinds going into 2nd (Manual..Bad Synchros??)
VERY sensitive to dents/dings..
(Bunch of kids used my roof as a trampoline)
Alignment gets thrown off easily
Airbag harness connection bad (Airbag light goes on and I have to move the harness a little to get it to go off)
Shift knob broke off.
Suspension parts rust (Tie rod , wheel well, Spring Tower, ....Everything!! Damn Salted NJ roads!!)
And worst of all!!....Gross looking green and red speckled interior fabric!! :eek:

P.S. Just went to put on new front tires.. 5 of 8 Lug studs crossthreaded and just snapped off... Reccomend ALL new ,Good quality studs.

#13 ·
Shift knob broke off.

how in the hell did you manage that one? Shifting using a baseball bat?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.