Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just checked the KYB Multiview Reader I have and got an update, and they appear to be in production. There's just one place I found that seems to be selling them: http://www.andysautosport.com/hyundai/01-03elantrastruts.html

The hold up has been the fact that the rears were not available until now.

Here's some damping specs to put everything in perspective. For .3 m/s this is how the fronts stack up (expansion/compression in kg)...
Elantra --------- KYB GR-2 ------------------------------ Tiburon Ultrasports
105/26 ---------- 130/40 ------------------------------------- 209/57

more info:
- http://www.elantraxd.com/yabbse/index.php?board=13;action=display;threadid=5681 (This group buy may not go into effect, I'll have to ask Malik about it. But there's good info here)
- http://www.kyb.com/shocks/gr2.html

·
Modding Procrastinator
444 Posts
so would these struts be better for apex springs or go with the tib struts?

The archive thread was a bit indecisive.

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I know the Tiburon struts will give a very stiff & sporty ride, and the Apex springs are some of the stiffer springs. For that reason, Jay found that spring & strut combo to be a good one.

The KYB's would probably be a little on the soft side for Apex springs... they'd be better suited to OEM, Eibach, or H&R's.

·
Modding Procrastinator
444 Posts
the phrase "stiff and sporty ride" is not registering for some reason. does it mean it will ride better or bounce a lot? :stupid:

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Handling with the Ultrasports struts will improve at the expense of ride comfort, but it will not be a 'bouncy' ride like you sometimes see Honda Civics bouncing down the road with coilover-sleeve kits & stock struts. A stiffer strut will reduce bounce, basically keeping the springs from moving too freely, and as a result you'll feel the little bumps in the road more.

If good handling isn't worth the loss in ride comfort to you, then don't get something as stiff as Apex springs w/ Tiburon struts. I mean, just look at the damping rates, the Tiburon Ultrasports struts are roughly twice as stiff as stock. That's what makes them great for 'spirited' driving. ;)

·
Modding Procrastinator
444 Posts
what i'm trying to find out is will the KYB struts take away more bounce or add more bounce? I got the springs because i wanted it lower. Not necessarily for perofrmane but for appearance. But for struts i would want them to reduce the bounce of maybe going over a speed bump. will struts even be able to reduce bounce? I'm so unknowning at this. thanx again for your replies :)

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This might help...

"Your shock absorbers are the primary suspension components that actually help "absorb shock" preventing continued bounce every time you accelerate, stop, corner or hit a bump."
- http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/tech/bounce.html

I was just trying to explain it better but I think I'm too tired to make any sense right now.

I'd suggest the Tiburon struts. They'll prevent that bounce you refer to. It won't be a smooth, comfortable ride like it was in stock form, but you gave that up when you got the Apex springs.

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it should be better than stock. But ideally you should be using something stiffer than these for that kind of drop.

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
You could use Tiburon Ultrasports struts, or Eibach struts for the Tiburon. Or... buy Koni replacement cartridges and rebuild your stock struts with them & they have variably adjustable damping.

The KYB's are the cheapest option though. And other than Koni's, they are the only strut designed for the XD that'll make a noticable improvement in performance.

·
Registered
497 Posts
SWortham said:
You could use Tiburon Ultrasports struts, or Eibach struts for the Tiburon. Or... buy Koni replacement cartridges and rebuild your stock struts with them & they have variably adjustable damping.

The KYB's are the cheapest option though. And other than Koni's, they are the only strut designed for the XD that'll make a noticable improvement in performance.
Do you have a link for the Koni's I don't see anything on their site for the XD, but I do for the 00-04 Tibby.

-EDIT- I see the ones for the XD of the international site but not the NA site, does anyone know if we can get these in the US and if so how much.

--NY

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'm not sure where you can get the Koni's... but they are in their catalog: www.koni.com. They're the Koni Sport series. The part #'s are 8610-1410Sport front, and 86-2631Sport rear.

·
Buffalo's Finest
90 Posts
Where can i find the Tiburon ultrasports for sale? and how much are they. Also, where can i find the apex springs for sale?

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can get the Tiburon Ultrasports struts for around $350 I think, from Jay Montigny at Lia Hyundai in Connecticut. His name is FujiHeavy here, and he's offered discounted OEM parts for a long time. As far as Apex springs goes, last I heard nobody could get them since there aren't any US suppliers anymore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts