Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Elantra GT - stock now except for ground wire mod.

WYTCHDCTR from another forum has been discussing a problem of running lean w/ intack/exhaust mods on his Beta 2. His solution is to reset the ECU every week.

He said FORDFASTER has been having the same lean-out issues. Has he found a fix for this? I saw he was using a fuel tuner.

I don't want to reset my ECU every week. And I sure don't want to run lean. But 10 to 0 more hp would be real nice.

Any advice? :bowdown:

- Woody

PS - I have an Accord no-name CAI on order.

·
Not such a Newbie
714 Posts
Woody said:
WYTCHDCTR,

I posted a reply over at hp.com to try to understand PUMBAA's reply.

BTW - anyone tried this to riched up the f/a mix:

http://www.nextlevelracing.com/Triphase.htm

- Woody
I've never seen or heard about this chip. It seems to be better than those $20 chips you can get off eBay which do absolutely nothing. I e-mailed them....let's see what happens.

Axel

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Im not going to plug that thing into my ecu... anyway. I didn't understand him either. Ha. Ford was thinking a relay on the ignition might help. So it disconnects the negative when it shuts off. That would be some intresting wiring. Dunno if he ever tried it or not. We just talked about it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WytchDctr said:
... anyway. I didn't understand him either....Ford was thinking a relay on the ignition might help.. .
Who don't you understand?

Ford was trying to use a "SS Fuel tuner" - how did that work for him? And how does it work?

======================================================

Anyway, the more I think about it, unless I do exhaust, headers, and cams, which I proably will not, I think CAI, and then do the Powerchip ECU tune is the best way to go for me. The intake will give me maybe 7 to 10 hp at the crank, and the Powerchip tweak that takes the 91 octane is suppoised to give around 12 - I'd be happy with that. That should bring me up from 138 at the crank to aound 160. I'm not going to race the car - it is for the street. A lot of guys in the forums are determined to take their cars as far as they can, and that's fine, but that's not my objective with my car. As long as there is a guarantees from Powerchip, which there is, Powerchip seems the most relialbe way to add around 10 hp. It certinaly is the easiest -after intack of course. I mean in reading in 3 different Hyundai forums, I've even heard people argue against header and exhaust mods. As I see it the Powerchip is a slam dunk. You can't argue with what underdrive pulleys do, but I've heard some people argue that they cause other damage to the enigne - so that turns me off as well. Turbo would reliable also, but there is no way I'm going to drop another $3,000 plus into a brand new Elantra. If I bought a used Elanatra in good shape for say around $6,000 to $8,000, maybe I could see taking $3,000 and doing a turbo. Then you would have a car with decent hanlding, that has (I'm guessing here) around, what 180 hp at the crank. But I can't justify it on my brand new car.

I'll probably call Powerchip on Monday, get more detail - see if they would discount later if I did decide to do exhaust. :D

- Woody :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts