Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I bought the car almost 2 years ago any time the weather is below 5C (41F) it takes a long time to warm up, I have a 15 min drive to work and usually the whole drive is cold. Any suggestions to help speed up the process?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ever since I bought the car almost 2 years ago any time the weather is below 5C (41F) it takes a long time to warm up, I have a 15 min drive to work and usually the whole drive is cold. Any suggestions to help speed up the process?
There are two items I would check, (1) and the most simple is to check to make sure that your car has enough coolant in the radiator. If you do not have enough it will take a much longer time for the heater to kick in and when it does when you stop and idle the heater will again start to blow cold air.
(2) you might want to replace the thermostat, if it is staying open it will take a VERY long time for you to get engine heat.

Neither of these items are too complex and are a good place to start.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
^^^ +1. How many miles on the car, and how long ago was the thermostat changed? A quick check of radiator fluid will probably show that it is the T-stat. Thermostats are wear-items, meaning they are not made to last forever - you need to change them occasionally - like wiper blades, tires, etc. It should cost you less than $20 and 10 minutes to change it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are two items I would check, (1) and the most simple is to check to make sure that your car has enough coolant in the radiator. If you do not have enough it will take a much longer time for the heater to kick in and when it does when you stop and idle the heater will again start to blow cold air.
(2) you might want to replace the thermostat, if it is staying open it will take a VERY long time for you to get engine heat.

Neither of these items are too complex and are a good place to start.
^^^ +1. How many miles on the car, and how long ago was the thermostat changed? A quick check of radiator fluid will probably show that it is the T-stat. Thermostats are wear-items, meaning they are not made to last forever - you need to change them occasionally - like wiper blades, tires, etc. It should cost you less than $20 and 10 minutes to change it.
Thanks, I will check both those things. The car has 137000 km's

1 - 4 of 4 Posts