Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
eibach is 1.5 i think, im gona save up for those after my trip to pa this weekend.

I still have stock wheels and im gona see how it looks after lowerd and i mite not get rims cause that blue gt ^ looks mighty fine with an exhaust and lowerdness

·
In da game for a while...
1,635 Posts
I had my car on stocks for about 4 months cuz I bent 2 of my rims. I really don't like it on stocks too much cuz it doesn't seem to fill the wheel well right. Looks awkward to me IMO. I have it dropped on Eibach's which I got about a year and a half ago. When I threw my 17's back on it looked waaaaayyy better than my stock GT's did.

·
Broke @$$ Fool
2,648 Posts
04 elantra cvvt said:
Yes, you are correct, a good drop will help more than the lower profile tires. Although, the 17's did help a lot.
I'd have to disagree on that comment. Dropping your car would only lower your center of gravity. You could cut your springs and that would lower your car but that doesn't make your car handling ability better. Think of all those civics and integras you've seen low to the ground but bounce everywhere like a bunny. I'd suggest the stickier and lower profile tires for better car handling. Just look how tires are so important in professional car racing. It can make or break the race.

·
Registered
156 Posts
lowering a car also, usually implies increased spring rates. Stiffer springs make for better handleing. My car drives great with my azenis on, but even with all-seasons, it drives a lot better than stock.

As for performance. BIGGER WHEELS ARE BAD for our cars. Big wheels weigh more, and have their weight farther from the axis causing slower acceleration, decceleration, and increased turn resistance. If our cars were more powerful, then the advantage of a small(stiffer) side wall tire and bigger wheels could out-weigh the weight issue.

that being said. Lowering a car, imho, betters the look of a car more than wheels alone.

Preformance is a tough one though. I'm not sure, if I were coming from stock, what I would do. strapping some azenis on a set of OEM wheels, and getting a performance alignment will do wonders for your turn in, but does nothing to help the extreeme understeer of our cars. Dropping in springs and struts, then getting a good alignment can make a world of difference too. But if you can't stick to the ground then it isn't helping much either.

it's a tough call, but based on my experience, I would go with the springs and struts. My current all-seasons are Kumho HP-4s. they were super cheap at 40 bucks each shipped, and grip a lot better than the stock michellins. with my current suspension set up, I would take the all-seasons rather than go back to stock, and have azenis.

oh and FYI, I bounce all over the place too....

·
Registered
567 Posts
well if u r simply going for looks then i guess slapping on some nice 17's wouldn't be so bad but like Casey sed, big wheels r bad for our cars. I remember reading a post here.. or maybe in the old forums, about losing HP when switched to bigger wheels than stock... the loss is very small, if i remember correctly, only about 1 or 2 but if performance is your primary concern and trying to squeeze every HP out as possible then i think it should matter.
.just my .02

·
Broke @$$ Fool
2,648 Posts
02xdGLS said:
well if u r simply going for looks then i guess slapping on some nice 17's wouldn't be so bad but like Casey sed, big wheels r bad for our cars. I remember reading a post here.. or maybe in the old forums, about losing HP when switched to bigger wheels than stock... the loss is very small, if i remember correctly, only about 1 or 2 but if performance is your primary concern and trying to squeeze every HP out as possible then i think it should matter.
.just my .02
I agree that 17's aren't the best size to go with if you're only concerned with performance. But here are test results from Tirerack.com using a honda civic and a koni coilover suspension. The suspension was kept at the same settings for all tire sizes, but notice the time improvements as the tires were plus sized: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/plus1_grm.jsp

Despite, the wheels/tires getting heavier, their lap times improved.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts