Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Mad Props for Our Site

5K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  XTRAWLD 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I just wanted you all to know that I was at a mojor show today in Markham, Ontario - called Darknights. The business cards from this site were all over my car, many picked them up, many I handed out and explained the site to people. In particular, I passed the card to a newspaper called the National Post....he was doing an interview and write up on me and another tibby at the show. In addition, a local news station, Global TV had interviewed me for a potential TV show. They are lining up a show in which there are 2 teams with almost the same car that is totally stock and you are allowed 2 days to fix it up. Kinda Monster Garage-ish. Whoever's car sells for more of a value at the end, that team wins. They would like me to organize a local team to do this.....don't know how that'll happen really, but I'll be posting that stuff in the Canada Section sometime later. Anyway, I made a huge plug about this site to them as well and passed the card along. Even better, the lady interviewing me said, well even if you don't make up a team do you mind if we give you a call to see if you could be the host of the show :eek: I'm like sure! I gave her my info and that was that. So she'll call me I suppose! The job part is great news because I've decided a week or two ago that I was quitting my current job....just finished making up the resumes too! Tomorrow is another day at the show....lets see what it brings! Oh and my ride wasn't judged yet, should be done tomorrow, all results will be revealed tomorrow! It was freakin' packed! I've never seen it so full or so good in the past 6 years I've been there as a spectator. For more info Darknight Nationals

See less See more
#5 ·
Wow, congrats. Even if the judging doesn't turn out like you hope (and like it should), it seems you're going to walk away from this event a winner. That would be hella-cool if you became the host of a TV show over this. Haha - then we'd all know what you look like though. Congrats.

#10 ·
hey I was there today, I hope you won your division. You and your boy actually told me about this site. thanks for all the info.

#13 ·
Well, more and more ElantraXD cards went out on day two. There were some people that came over to see my car, jaws dropped...it was very nice to have that kind of attention surrounding my Hyundai. I was approached by Performance Auto and Sound magazine and I think I have a small spot in their mag, but who knows, as they took pics of alot of cars that weekend. Also spoke to a girl hosting Sport Compact TV - yeah, I don't know who they are either. She's looking at doing a feature about girls in the scene, she's apparently gonna contact me soon. She was filmed around my car and my b/f's car while she was doing an intro. Looks like I might also have a feature in Sport Compact National, as is the other friend that competed with us. My b/f and that same friend that entered with us were approached to have their car in a music video!! lol....thought that was interesting. Some girls were posing in front of my b/f's car for some web based car thing.....we told them to leave. Having your car in the show can bring around the right people, but can also bring around the wrong people, put it that way. I'll be posting pics of my car soon, have to download and get my life back upright since the show has ended....didn't spend much time the past couple weeks on anything other than the car.

And to finish off...the results of the show. Get this.....I didn't even place! There was a '93 Widebody Elantra....dangahboi

Linky

that got first place - totally well deserved, we figured it would be a tough fight....total engine conversion, interior, the works! Awesome job Justin! I got beat out by a red accent who got second and a blue accent that got third - someone from New York, totally nice guy. If you lose to people, you wanna lose to these guys, they are just awesome - although I didn't even speak to the one with the red accent. Needless to say my class was harder than we anticipated. The judging of my car really sucked, which I think was part of the problem, but what are you gonna do? Basically, the people that I lost to had their cars almost maxxed out -full interior work, etc. so it gives me tonnes of room to grow and improve and whip everyones ass the next time around!! I really wanted something out of the show, to place at least, but I got much more. I got a potential job offer, exposure of my car on the scene, bringing more Hyundais to the show entices the owners of Darknights to keep the Hyundai class in the running, and more importantly, I spoke with some great people that came up to see my car, educated them and learned from them too...and that's really what it's all about.

My b/f placed third in his category of Hyundai Tiburon, canadianshark74

Linky

while our friend that came with us placed second in the same category - I'm so proud!!!

So all in all a great weekend - yeah, I'm a little upset about not placing, but it just means I'll have to work that much harder the next time around. It was nice to go and compete at a show I've been going to as a spectator for the past 5 years....the 6th was my turn to enter. And considering it was my first show with the car...things turned out well.

#17 ·
sports compact tv is on every sunday @ 2 pm on chch channel 11 in ontario canada

#19 ·
Yeah, I'll come up with something like Carole Burnett - pull my earlobe to say hi to all you guys - lol ;)

Update:

Click my sig...National Post did go ahead with their story - one lead hit so far!!!

#21 ·
I just realized that I didn't update this thread.

Another mad props for our site went out when I had my interview a couple weeks ago for a local TV show about tuners and their cars. My car and I will apparently be seen in an episode called "Not Your Average Tuner." They had roughly a 5 minute interview with me where I mentioned ElantraXD and Kspec helped me along the way with the development of the car. They say the show will be airing sometime in October or November. Basically when I know, you'll know.

On another note, where I expect to be spreading the word once again is in my audition that I have tonight for that Global show I mentioned. Yes, they finally called me, I was beginning to give up on that! I'm set up for tonight to have a 1 hour audition with them for hosting that show. We shall see what comes out of that one. Hey, I may not have received a trophy at Darknights, but looks like I got alot more out of it instead huh. :)

#25 ·
Went to the thing last night...felt like a bunch of hoo-haw to me. Went in for the interview in this....HUGE room, looked like a half pipe was in there made of concrete...very echoie. (sp? :) ) Asked questions about how'd I get into cars, etc. Meanwhile I'm thinking, k, someone told me I'm coming in to audition to host the show, not be a team member on this thing. Anyway, it lasted about 15 mins and I went home. I got there a half hour early and some other people showed up after I sat down. When I left there was a line up out the door. They were pretty much looking for mechanics to get down to the nitty gritty of the cars. The concept of the show is to have a pair of old beaters, and there are 2 teams of 8 people. Each team has to up the value of the car and make it fast at the same time. Best car wins. Apparently they are looking for people for the pilot project and afterwards a series. Put it this way - I'm not holding my breath...but at least it's an experience I can take off of my To Do List.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.