Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some questions I thought of while reading the manual.

What is a fuel tank air filter? It says you are supposed to replace it every 30,000 miles. I have never heard of anything like that.

When checking the oil it says to make sure it is between the F and L. However, if it is at or near the L then add enough oil to bring it to the F. So how do you tell when it is close enough to add oil if it is normally between the F and L to begin with?

Since the clutch and brakes use the same fluid from the same reservoir, is it ok to use a synthetic brake fluid like ATE or Motul? Will that hurt the clutch in any way?

Can you check the fluid in the 5 speed trans, or can you only check it in the automatic? Also, is there a filter in the 5 speed?

How often do you all change the air filter for the engine? It just says to do it when necessary. I plan on doing it at 12,000 or 15,000 miles but I'm just curious how often you guys do it.

Can you check the power steering fluid? I notice it does not talk about that so I am assuming that the cars power steering does not utilize fluid.

Thanks for the help. Like I said, I was going through the manual and just wanted some clarification. Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
Just some questions I thought of while reading the manual.

What is a fuel tank air filter? It says you are supposed to replace it every 30,000 miles. I have never heard of anything like that.

When checking the oil it says to make sure it is between the F and L. However, if it is at or near the L then add enough oil to bring it to the F. So how do you tell when it is close enough to add oil if it is normally between the F and L to begin with?

Since the clutch and brakes use the same fluid from the same reservoir, is it ok to use a synthetic brake fluid like ATE or Motul? Will that hurt the clutch in any way?

Can you check the fluid in the 5 speed trans, or can you only check it in the automatic? Also, is there a filter in the 5 speed?

How often do you all change the air filter for the engine? It just says to do it when necessary. I plan on doing it at 12,000 or 15,000 miles but I'm just curious how often you guys do it.

Can you check the power steering fluid? I notice it does not talk about that so I am assuming that the cars power steering does not utilize fluid.

Thanks for the help. Like I said, I was going through the manual and just wanted some clarification. Thanks again. :)
Very good questions, and some that haven't been asked before. Instead of telling you to "search" or redirect you elsewhere, which I have a tendency to do, I'm going to give you the answers right here, in the hopes that it will not only help you out, but help others out as well.

1) The "fuel tank air filter" is really the fuel filter. The dealer won't list it as such, so you'll have to ask for the "fuel tank air filter".

2) Every car is different, but on my XD2, I put 4 qts. in and I leave it at that. Some can take more I suppose, and some HDs have taken less. As long as your oil level doesn't drop below L (indicating a leak somewhere or you are burning oil) you'll be fine leaving it between L and F. They say to fill it to F if you drop to L, because they assume you are leaking oil, or burning oil, and do not want you to run the engine dry of oil.

3) I do not recommend synthetic brake fluid in the Clutch Slave Cylinder. It's okay for the Brake System, I do not feel it's a good idea for the clutch. Regular DOT 3 Penzoil or STP brake fluid will be fine.

4) No filter on the Manual Transmission, and no, there is no way to check the fluid. It's recommended that you change out the fluid every 60k miles. I highly recommend that you follow those directions. The syncromesh in these transmissions are very finicky.

5) Change the air filter when it is noticeably dirty, when it's no longer white (if you have a white one).

6) The power steering fluid reservoir should be located on the front passenger strut tower. Something like this should only need changing ever 60k miles or so. It does use fluid, and it can go bad. Matter of fact, after 76k miles on my XD2, mine is finally ready to be changed out.

Hope that helps you out!

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
Very good questions, and some that haven't been asked before. Instead of telling you to "search" or redirect you elsewhere, which I have a tendency to do, I'm going to give you the answers right here, in the hopes that it will not only help you out, but help others out as well.

1) The "fuel tank air filter" is really the fuel filter. The dealer won't list it as such, so you'll have to ask for the "fuel tank air filter".

2) Every car is different, but on my XD2, I put 4 qts. in and I leave it at that. Some can take more I suppose, and some HDs have taken less. As long as your oil level doesn't drop below L (indicating a leak somewhere or you are burning oil) you'll be fine leaving it between L and F. They say to fill it to F if you drop to L, because they assume you are leaking oil, or burning oil, and do not want you to run the engine dry of oil.

3) I do not recommend synthetic brake fluid in the Clutch Slave Cylinder. It's okay for the Brake System, I do not feel it's a good idea for the clutch. Regular DOT 3 Penzoil or STP brake fluid will be fine.

4) No filter on the Manual Transmission, and no, there is no way to check the fluid. It's recommended that you change out the fluid every 60k miles. I highly recommend that you follow those directions. The syncromesh in these transmissions are very finicky.

5) Change the air filter when it is noticeably dirty, when it's no longer white (if you have a white one).

6) The power steering fluid reservoir should be located on the front passenger strut tower. Something like this should only need changing ever 60k miles or so. It does use fluid, and it can go bad. Matter of fact, after 76k miles on my XD2, mine is finally ready to be changed out.

Hope that helps you out!
Here is more info:

2. The HD uses 4.5 quarts of motor oil. 5w20 recommended but 5w30 is fine.

3. I suggest using the regular brake fluid in the clutch system. That also has the restrictor plate which can be removed like the XD/2's.

4. Do what ^^ is above.

5. There is NO POWER STEERING FLUID on the car. It is an electric motor driven unit that is controlled by the ECU.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Wrong, there is a bolt in front of the MT to check the fluid level (from HMA) :

EDIT : Sorry, I first took the XD MT description, here is the HD one :

MANUAL TRANSAXLE
Check the gear oil level by removing the filler plug.
If the oil is contaminated, it is necessary to replace it with new oil.
Remove oil filler plug(A).

Check level with finger.
Oil level must be up to fill the hole, add oil until it runs over.

Install filler plug.
------------------------------------
Filler plug tightening torque :
60~80 Nm (6.0~8.0 kgf.m, 43.4~57.9 lb-ft)
------------------------------------

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the insightful info! I will deff. stick to regular break fluid then. If I take out the restriction plate in the slave cylinder, which i gather from here that a lot of people do, will that void my warranty as far as the clutch system goes? I really want to do it as i find the car shifts like S$$t most of the time :(. I feel like im a noob with the stick again as its very hard to keep it smooth, imo. Also, I'm going to change the manual gear oil at 15,000 and then at 30, etc. I guess its overkill but it makes me feel better. Prob. won't ever check it myself looking at that diagram so ill just change it sooner than later. Oh and thanks for clearing up the fuel tank air filter, I knew I wasn't that stupid when it comes to cars. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
About that "fuel tank air filter" ... it's not the fuel filter, there really is a "fuel tank air filter"

Check #11 :

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
Colin, I forgot to edit my post after re-reading that he had an HD. I forgot that the steering was electronically assisted, thanks for clearing that up.

MT's don't have a stick to check the fluid level, and I believe that was what the OP was referring to. Of course you can remove the bolt and do the pinky test, but not too many people do that.

And that "fuel tank air filter": Never heard of it, never seen it before, and it's not in an XD/XD2 manual. Must be the HDs only or something and fairly new. And it's usually the fuel filter that gets clogged and needs changing, probably not this fuel tank air filter.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i think the tank air filter is just a new emission control thing.

also, i think the OP is wasting their time/money changing the MT fluid at 15k miles, unless of course you're in some severe use.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Yeah, it's new on the HD, previous Elantra models didn't had that!

As for MT fluid change, yeah, it's overkill, but if the OP feels comfortable with it, I guess it's his money ... but just a question, how much is a MT oil change at the dealer???

Back in the days when I was working in a small shop our MT oil change was 39.99$ or something like that!

·
Acountabilibuddy
4,862 Posts
i think the tank air filter is just a new emission control thing.
It's not new. Every modern car has one. Your fuel tank is supposed to be sealed, to keep the hydrocarbons in the tank, so they don't escape to the atmosphere. But when the fuel level goes down, you need to let air in to prevent the tank from collapsing. You don't want dirty air entering the tank, so there is an air filter.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
^ well, it's nowhere in HMA ... unless I didn't check in the right place?

*runs back to HMA and starts digging*

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

As for MT fluid change, yeah, it's overkill, but if the OP feels comfortable with it, I guess it's his money ... but just a question, how much is a MT oil change at the dealer???

Back in the days when I was working in a small shop our MT oil change was 39.99$ or something like that!
Yea, I know its overkill but it makes me feel better. I plan on having this car for a LONG time, unless I win the lotto :rolleyes:, so I figure it can only help...deff. can't hurt. And for some reason I don't think it is going to cost 39.99 :(....I think the dealer near me charges 150 an hour for labor...lmao! So I prob will not go there.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
150$ an hour ??? WTF ??? here it's around 70-75$ (Canadian)!!!

As for the MT oil change, you might want to do it yourself ... just be sure to do that on a level ground and use GL-4 (GM/Pennzoil Synchromesh is highly recommended!)

From HMA, for the HD :
Oil Replacement
With the vehicle parked on a level surface, remove the drain plug.
Drain the transaxle oil after loosening the drain plug(A).

Install the drain plug with new washer.
---------------------------------------------
Drain plug tightening torque:
60~80 Nm (6.0~8.0 kgf.m, 43.4~57.9 lb-ft)

Add new oil through the fille plug hole and, fill it just below the plug opening.
Standard oil SAE 75W/85, API GL-4
Oil capacity: 2.0 liter (2.1 US qt, 1.76 lmp qt)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
150$ an hour ??? WTF ??? here it's around 70-75$ (Canadian)!!!

As for the MT oil change, you might want to do it yourself ... just be sure to do that on a level ground and use GL-4 (GM/Pennzoil Synchromesh is highly recommended!)

From HMA, for the HD :
well i had my oil changed today. They said its 200 dollars for a mt flush!! and that they do flushes and don't like to do drain and fill. after laughing in her face she asked her boss and they said they would do a drain and fill for 59. She said that Hyundai recommends a flush and not a drain and fill....is that true? I dont think so but i could be wrong. and 200 dollars is freaking insane :kick: :jerkit:

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
It's even cheaper to just do it yourself. And drain and fill is all I've ever done on my car. Granted, mine is an XD2, not an HD, but still the same transmission.

I've only ever heard of automatic transmission flushes, and that price they quoted you for a M/T flush sounds about right, for an automatic.

This is something that is so easy to do I would recommend doing it in your driveway at home.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
well i had my oil changed today. They said its 200 dollars for a mt flush!! and that they do flushes and don't like to do drain and fill. after laughing in her face she asked her boss and they said they would do a drain and fill for 59. She said that Hyundai recommends a flush and not a drain and fill....is that true? I dont think so but i could be wrong. and 200 dollars is freaking insane :kick: :jerkit:
My BS meter went off the scale.

·
Acountabilibuddy
4,862 Posts
It's impossible to do a manual trans flush.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts