VERY COOL!!! Must try soon. :D

·
Registered
687 Posts
dam thats pretty dam cool

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
If anyone wants to try this, I have the high-resolution scanned images of our gauge faces. (Both MPH and KPH). I was going to make some of these a while back, but got side-tracked and kind-of forgot about them. If you want the images, I'll see if I can find somewhere to post them (P.S. They are large-high resolution files).

·
Too much time spent here.
1,258 Posts
Hey that's great Hyunelan2. I first saw this I was like I gotta do this, but then reading the instructions I figured it will be too hard to take my dash out at work to scan these since I don't have a scanner at home.

·
Registered
270 Posts
hyunelan2 said:
If anyone wants to try this, I have the high-resolution scanned images of our gauge faces. (Both MPH and KPH). I was going to make some of these a while back, but got side-tracked and kind-of forgot about them. If you want the images, I'll see if I can find somewhere to post them (P.S. They are large-high resolution files).
If you want, I have a server and I can host those files for you. Let me know.

·
2004 Elantra GLS
80 Posts
Did anyone else notice his first image he used and the image in the actual dash is different? lol no big deal I just thought that was odd...definetly a neat idea though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
These turn out rather well. I used to belong (still do, actually) to the board where this idea was somewhat inspired. If you notice, the gauges say "Saplsh" on them. The guy that tried this was one of the moderators at a Ford Ranger forum. He tried several ideas and color combinations to come up with his final "draft".

They turn out pretty good (a LOT of the guys did them) but I seem to remember there was some issue with the glue/adhesive used to attach them.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Blacknight- yea, that'd be great if you can host these up on a server somewhere. I have to find the files, I think they were about 5 megs a peice.

Carbonman- also yes, I'm done with them. I put those faces in a box in a box that went under the foot of the bed (you know how that goes. I just checked, they're in my hand. PM me your new address and I'll send themback to ya. Thanks for their use, and future thanks (I'm sure) from those who will benefit from scanned KPH faces.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I wonder if it would work better with photopaper, and paint the back black. That would take away the glue.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Glue is not a problem, you affix the 'paper' faces in areas that are not seen on the gauges (like the mounting points that are off to the sides).

As for photo-paper, maybe a better picture, but nothing for light. Paper is paper, made from wood-pulp and not that good for showing light distribution. Some sort of plastic would be better. Just a hint though - don't put any plastics through a laser printer the fuser will melt them. That was what shot my original project down, but creating your own "overlays" out of paper is a much better idea than my first gauge face "replacement" idea anyway.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The Epson 1280 printer along with a few others can print on plastics. I can find out at work. I have an Epson R600. If that will perhaps I can get some vinyl or something and print guages for people.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts