Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i'm rolling 205/40/17 tires with 17 inch rims what is the most i can drop the car? Also, any better recommendations on tire size when lowering with 17's?

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
205/40-17's are a little on the small side. It depends on the springs but you can probably drop your car up to 2" with 205/40, 1.8" with 205/45 or 215/40, or 1.6" with 215/45's. Or somewhere around there. Just make sure you're using wheels with a 40-45mm offset. And I like the look of 215/45's myself just because they fill out the wheel well better -- not to mention they ride better.

Oh, and do you have a hatchback or a sedan? The hatchbacks tend to have more problems with rubbing in the rear.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've got a gls sedan. i guess i'm not looking to maximally drop the car, i just want something tasteful and know what my limits are. can anyone point out some posts of cars (or post yourself) an elantra dropped (not chopped) and just list how much it's lowered. that would be really helpful :)

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
He has hydraulic coilovers. Shark Racing sells them.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks all, very helpful :) i'm looking into the hydraulic coilovers, probably expensive, but for me worth it because of the varying terrain i drive in daily, would have clearance issues getting up my driveway if i lowered the car permanently :)

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
I have a 2" drop with 215/35 18, still tons of room to go. I am sizing the same set of rims only 225/35 19. Should go nice.

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
He can when he needs to. That's the beauty of a hydraulic suspension. It's also extremely stiff & probably takes a certain type of person to drive everyday.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts