Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved to Lansing, Michigan and need to do a few things to my car before winter gets here. I've lived in Florida all my life and have no idea what's involved in "winterizing" my car. I was just checking to see if there were any reasonably priced shops around the area for the things I couldn't do myself such as a tranny/coolant flush.

And now for the actual mechanical help. After I changed my rear tires, I started rubbing in the back. I have no idea about suspension components, but I replaced the tires with the same sized tires as before, and they had never rubbed before. Here's where I would like some actual mechanical help if anyone lives in the area and is willing to help. I'd like to figure out what's up, then change out whatever I need to change, whether it's the springs, shocks, whatever.

Additionally, there's plenty of other mods that I would like to do that I definitely need help with seeing as my mechanical experience is somewhat limited. I can't pay much seeing as I'm in lawschool at the moment, but I do have a 360 I can offer depending on how much your willing to help with the car. I also have a hitch I practically have no more use for and the wiring harness for it which I could switch from my car to yours. It's a U-Haul hitch.

Anyways, if your in the area, I don't mind driving a couple of hundred miles to get to someone who can help out. If anyone's willing to help, please let me know, I need to get this stuff done kinda soon with winter coming.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Change the antifreeze, check all your fluids, replace your wipers, check your battery, and buy snowtires. You won't regret snow tires, esp. if you're from florida and have only seen snow in a globe.

·
circuit track whore
3,820 Posts
Change the antifreeze, check all your fluids, replace your wipers, check your battery, and buy snowtires. You won't regret snow tires, esp. if you're from florida and have only seen snow in a globe.

x2
i should have read this earlier, i let a spare set of rims with snow tires go with my car today.

and why change the antifreeze if its not needed per the reccomended maitinence for hyundai. there is no different antifreeze for florida weather to michigan weather. id say check all fluids and replace if needed of as part of the reccomended maitinence schedule.

·
Acountabilibuddy
4,862 Posts
Buy a down coat. And some good gloves.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
x2
i should have read this earlier, i let a spare set of rims with snow tires go with my car today.

and why change the antifreeze if its not needed per the reccomended maitinence for hyundai. there is no different antifreeze for florida weather to michigan weather. id say check all fluids and replace if needed of as part of the reccomended maitinence schedule.

Simply because that's something frequently overlooked, and probably isn't a bad idea to do at this point. He's never had to worry about a ****ty mix freezing and cracking a block before, so if there's any doubt, replace it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
you dont really need snow tires. i drove around last winter with low profile summer tires and it wasnt all that bad. this year i have low profile all seasons, so hopefully it will be a little bit better.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try to find a ****ty set for the winter, but bringing my old steelie's wasn't a choice for me on my move. Right now I have my 17's with a set of zeix's in the front, and some other ****ty tires on the back.

·
circuit track whore
3,820 Posts
I'll try to find a ****ty set for the winter, but bringing my old steelie's wasn't a choice for me on my move. Right now I have my 17's with a set of zeix's in the front, and some other ****ty tires on the back.
your gonna want some decent tires man. last year i spun around on the freeway. damn freeway was a solid sheet of ice. was going 15mph along with everyone else, guy in front hit brakes, so did i as i had to. did about 2 360's and ended up perfectly in my lane. missed all other cars. it was kinda cool. lol but find a set of steelies for cheap, then some cheap snow tires. i paid 230 for 4 cooper winter force. those tires ROCK!!!! and 25 mount/balance at my work :D

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I live downtown, and really drive about once/maybe twice a week. Is it pretty much a daily occurrence during the winter that streets are frozen over, or could I get away with just picking and choosing when to have to go out?

·
Veni, Vidi, Velcro
10,969 Posts
you dont really need snow tires. i drove around last winter with low profile summer tires and it wasnt all that bad. this year i have low profile all seasons, so hopefully it will be a little bit better.
You're insane, man. I drove for two winters on low-profile tires, I'll never do that again.

Get snow tires, or a good set of all seasons. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You're insane, man. I drove for two winters on low-profile tires, I'll never do that again.

Get snow tires, or a good set of all seasons. You won't regret it.
I have all season low profile tires. i drove last winter with summer low profiles and it wasnt all that bad. hopefully this year these all seasons will hold the ground better

1 - 12 of 12 Posts