Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Creating Imbalances
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, i have scoured the old threads about front suspension noise only to find some possibilities of potential problems.

Here is my situation:

UPDATE: PROBLEM SOLVED
2006 XD2 Limited, 45,000 miles, one accident (front left 90 degree impact, low speed $6,000 USD in damage), mechanically sound. I have noticed over about the past three months that if I drive over bumps that involve a suspension compression followed by a quick expansion (i.e. Driving over cracks or small pot-holes at 25-40 mph) the front passenger side suspension (or other related component) rattles upon impact of the road imperfection. It has progressively gotten worse. The worst being today when it actually sounded like something was about to fall off.

There are multiple threads on topics which seem similar at first, but there are never any solutions posted (with the exception of a couple of threads where the bolts or a suspension modification was the cause.)

This particular sound is very acute and repeatable. Several trips around a local poorly mantained parking lot have shown that it is otherwise completely fine until i ride over a bump, then the noise emmits from the passenger side. I also can produce a similar metallic rattle if I park the car, turn the wheels straight and kick the tire. using my hands I cannot make the noise, but kicking will. The steering also seems fine.

I have visually inspected the components in the wheel well, however, this does no good because I cannot pinpoint the origin.

I hope that this is specific enough that I may get some help.

·
Banned
2,532 Posts
Probably the sway bar bushings or end links.

·
Creating Imbalances
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Is that something that should be done at a ashop, or can it be done at home? I am mechanically inclined.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Banned
2,532 Posts
Thanks, Is that something that should be done at a ashop, or can it be done at home? I am mechanically inclined.
If you've worked on cars before you should be able to do it. It's not too hard.

REMOVAL
1. Remove the front wheel and tire.

2. Remove the stabilizer bar link assembly (A).

A. Remove the bolts (B) and stabilizer bar link (A).
NOTE: If the stabilizer bar link ball joint (C) and nuts (B) turn altogether, use the pentagonal wrench to hold the stud.
B. Remove the stabilizer bar link on the opposite side in the same way.
CAUTION: Be careful not to damage the ball joint boot.​

3. Remove the stabilizer bracket (A) and bushing (B)
A. After loosen the bolts (C-in case of LH, separate pad by loosening the fixing bolts of the stabilizer bar bracket), then remove the bracket (A) and bushing (B)

B. Remove the stabilizer bar link on the opposite side in the same way.

C. Remove the stabilizer out of the vehicle's right side.​

INSTALLATION
1. Install the bushing on the stabilizer bar.
NOTE: The distance between the bushing, and the part to which white paint is applied, must continue 10mm outside the vehicle.

2. Install the bracket on the bushing

3. Align and install the bushing with the white paint on the stabilizer bar. After tightening the bolts of the bushing bracket temporarily, install the bushing bracket on the opposite side.

INSPECTION
1. Check the stabilizer bar for deterioration and damage.

2. Check all bolts for damage and deformation.

3. Check the stabilizer link dust cover for cracks or damage.

4. Check the stabilizer link ball joint (A) for rotating torque.

A. If there is a crack in the dust cover, replace it and add grease.

B. Shake the stabilizer link ball joint stud several times.

C. Mount the self-locking nut on the ball joint, and then measure the ball joint rotating torque.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Standard value
1.7~3.2 Nm (17~32 kgf·cm, 15~27 lbf·in)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D. If the rotating torque is higher than the upper limit of the standard value, replace the stabilizer link.

E. If the rotating torque is below the lower limit of the standard value, the ball joint may be reused unless it has drag and excessive play.​

·
Creating Imbalances
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the leads. It turns out that one of the two bolts that holds the brake caliper to the hub assembly is just GONE! I called the brake shop where I had the work done and it should be fixed tomorrow. I wonder where the heck that bolt went, I wonder if it was ever there at all after the repair? Anyway, thanks for the diagram too, I've been looking for an exploded view.

·
Banned
2,532 Posts
One of the caliper bolts was missing?! Yikes! Glad you found it before something bad happened.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts