Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Member #23 in the weeds.
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know what the cross-section of the stock resonator looks like? After installing my SSAutochrome header, KORE midpipe and free flow muffler, it sounds like a swarm of angry bees chasing me. I put the stock muffler on to avoid another noise pollution ticket and the sound is worse, but more quiet. :( Now it sounds like a f#@king pepsi can for a muffler! I'm looking at adding a round 6" diameter muffler in the midpipe (same location of the stock resonator). I just wonder if doing this will help with the nasty sound. Maybe this:

Or this:

I need professional opinions. Still.....any opinions are welcome.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Get a resonator put into the midpipe. The combination of a mid resonator and a muffler in the rear should help to reduce the angry bee effect. Also do you still have a cat? If not, consider a high flow cat also to help with sound.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have a magnaflow mufflr and a high flow cat. Before I got my muffler welded on it was a huge swarm of bees. But after the muffler it's barely noticabnle at cold start and then non existant after the car warms up for a couple minutes. :)

·
Member #23 in the weeds.
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So maybe I'll go with this:

It will be SS, 2.5" in and out (so it will slip over the mid-pip), 6" x 14" body, and 20" overall. I've read how some G20 owner used the 4" round one and it helped quite a bit. The cheapest I found it was for $69.53 shipped.

You guys think it will help? :confused: ......again: SSAutochrom header (no cat), KORE 2.5" mid-pipe with Magnaflow 6" resonator, and dual 3" dtm style free-flow muffler.

·
Registered
371 Posts
hey mike,
there are a few shops over here in tampa that sell decent resonators, if you wanna check em out I can find the phone numbers for ya, call me sometime...

Also most auto shops can order the resonators if anything, but I noticed they weren't that cheap looking on advanced and pep boys, for a turbo style resonator, the normal resonators weren't too badly priced...

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I put a Magnaflow 6inch diameter center inlet-outlet straight thru muffler on mine because trying to find a resonator in Nova turned out to be harder than curing cancer. Of course I already had a hi-flo cat on my system but the second muffler totally killed the bee buzz. Not sure but I think a resonator would do the same thing. My problem was noise not resonance.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The 6 inch will fit in the tunnel it hangs down about 3.5 or 3.75 inches under the car. Not enough to drag or catch on stuff like speedbumps (unless your car is lowered) And in my case it helped a whole lot with the noise.

·
Member #23 in the weeds.
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, my car is lowered. I have the quest coilovers and from the edge of the wheel to the fender is about 2 7/8" on all four corners. I can't have anything hanging any lower than stock. That's why I need to know the diameter of the stock resonator.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Six inch defineately will NOT work for you. Four inch should be fine though.

·
Member #23 in the weeds.
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, the 4" should be here Wednesday and if I work things out with this guy at work he's gonna install it. He's been welding for like 35 years. He said he'd purge the pipe with Argon in order for the welds to penetrate to the interior, giving a stronger weld. All this done with SS rod, too.

I got the 4" magnaflow installed and the buzz is no longer. :D Now I can put my aftermarket muffler back on.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Mike, you know that I have a magnoflow resonator and no bee sound right? I thought I had told you that before. It's still loud and I put the silencer back in the muffler to keep the noise down but it was definately not ricey sounding at all. I got it from Mad Hatter mufflers on Waters

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
So how does it sound? You have already read my posts on this same topic and I was just wondering how you like it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts