Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
just gotta jack car up, take off wheel (front drivers side), take off plastic screws holding palstic wheel well in, take out like 3 more screws/bolts holding resonator box in, then pull it out. It's been a little while, so I think that's it! I remember having to take out my battery, but that may have only been for my headlight bulb replacement. nothing too complicated though.
more info here

·
Registered
281 Posts
FordFasteRR said:
this mod is marginally unnoticably better than stock...

its just easier to install a short ram and be done with it much quicker :)
I agree. Even with the resonator removed it's an entire diffrent feeling when you get a CAI or even a WAI"short ram" Gas milage gets a little better and the car pulls a little better at top end.

·
-
471 Posts
I did this recently on my '04. It took ~30 minutes. I turned the wheel to the left, took out 5 fasteners and one screw in the wheel well and removed the heat shield around the battery. I had to remove the headlight to get to the the front nut holding the resonator, as the fog light blocked access from underneath. The biggest hassle I had was separating the flexible intake hose from the resonator. It was attached with something similar to rigger's tape. I ended up cutting it and prying it loose before the hose could be removed.

As for the results, the differences in sound and performance are best described as "subtle". At first, I didn't notice anything. With the windows up, there is little sound difference, just a slight droning, but you really have listen for it. At highway speeds, the wind noise from the roof rack obscures the intake sound. In terms of performance, there seems to be a slight responsiveness improvement at lower revs, but it may well be wishful thinking. At around 4K, there seems to be a definite improvement.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I did this mod and my mileage got a couple mpg worse and I felt a definite loss of what little torque was there to begin with. I guess I'll just leve it out and get an AEM

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help!!!

I will probably end up installing a short RAM. I think I am going to buy a Honda CAI and modify it into a short RAM. My only concern is that I would like to have a bracket that holds it in place and I am not mechanically inclined enough to fabricate something on my own.

·
Super Hero
579 Posts
you can get an Accord short ram for about $10 less than the cai off ebay. And definately the better choice for any performance gains. Will be louder FYI

·
-
471 Posts
Josh K said:
I did this mod and my mileage got a couple mpg worse and I felt a definite loss of what little torque was there to begin with. I guess I'll just leve it out and get an AEM
Did you reset the ECU?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts