Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Other options seeker
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went in for a full diagnogstic of my car today. The Mechanic here is a "Master" mechanic. That's the best you can get in Europe. When I asked about the ticking, we went for a drive around the block. Upon return, he opened the hood and showed me EXACTLY what was going on with this.

Hyundai is a dual cam engine. There is a chain that runs these cams syncronous. (left side of valve cover when looking from the front) Over time this chain gets just a little play in it. No worries, it's normal and has a tension spring on it. However during deceleration is when this chain has the most play. it then "ticks" just a little. Also when first starting. So my mystery is finally solved.

This drove me crazy for a while because this sound goes away after a couple of minutes, but can be heard "sometimes" after a long drive and pulling in the driveway (faintly)

I hope this helps some of us out with the "What's that tick" question.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Could be too that upon start up, there isnt as much oil in the head until the PCV valve brings up oil to lubricate it sufficently. That or the valves. Cool theory though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts