Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
no longer a newbie :)
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just measuring the space under the seats. I want to fit an amp under one of the seats and maybe a Kenwood WA62RC under the other seat (for some additional bass). Now I will probably have to "raise" the seats with some spacers and longer bolts, but in order to keep everything hidden, I would have to mount the amp/woofer REALLY close to the heat/AC ducts that run under the seats! :(

Does anyone think this will pose a major problem for the life/durability of the stereo equipment?
:confused:

I just can't seem to find a set-up that I believe I will be happy with...and trying to avoid a trunk mounted woofer if possible. I want to be even more stealth than southpaw's system! :tongue:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Amps will be just fine under the seats that where I've had mine for three years. Kenwood 250x2 channel one under each seat. The AC ducts actually help keep them cool in the summer.

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But it doesnt get that cold where you are in VA (I am in NY) and I will have to blast the heat several months during the year...thats what I am really concerned about :(

Will blocking off the vent do anything other than push the heat/air more forcefully throught the other vents in the system? :confused:

Maybe a cooling fan to deal with heat? :confused:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Also what sort of amps are we talking about? As far as I know you shouldn't be talking about temps high enough to cause damage to anything. Competition set-ups pushing upwards of 10,000 amps get that hot but not your average street car set-up. Hatchetman has a good point also. Your heater couldn't possibly get the amps hot enough to hurt them in any case, the floor vents just aren't big enough.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's probably going to be hotter in our car in the summer than it would ever be with the heat on in the winter. If you're that concerned lookin into getting an amp with a fan.

My truck has a Phoenix Gold amp under the driver seat and I've never had any problems. However, just to be on the safe side I bought a small fan at Radio Shack and mounted it to blow from the front, accross the heat shields, to the rear.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
a small 12V cooling fan attached below the seat is a good idea, and one that i've done for customers many times. the other thing to remember is that even in winter, blowing warm air through the ducts will still cool the amp more than if the ducts were off. the temp of the amps gets hotter than your heated air, so even the heated air provides some cooling to the amps.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
i have my dsp under my driver seat and i dont have any probs with it....any air moving over it will cool it and remove the hotter air coming off the amp.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
uhm off topic a little, but I have:

dreamcast, power invertor, dvd player under my seats and I use a oscilatting (sp?) 12v fan to push the air off them, especially the invertor, that sucker gets HOT.

As long as you have airflow you will be fine.

shawn :)

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool...now to jack up the seats for a bit more clearance.... :D

SED, your innovations have pushed me to try some of my own ;) . And Southpaw, your help has truly been invaluable. :cool:

Now to begin my (hopefully) high SQ audio setup with absolutely no subs mounted in the trunk! (cue maniacal laughter)
:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts