Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several questions for everyone:

I don't like the look of how most aftermarket cat back mufflers stick out under the read fender like a roll of paper towel. I much prefer the way some people have tucked Magnaflow mufflers in the stock position and just stuck the tips out. Do people just go to a local speed shop, purchase a Magnaflow and have them instal it? I also don't want a really loud muffler, what does the magnaflow sound like compared to some of the cat-backs?

I realize you do not gain nearly the same benefits by just replacing the mufler and not the small stock pipe, but whats the est. cost involved?

Any answers appreciated.

·
Registered
226 Posts
if you really wann save money and not have it too loud or sticking out the back use a glass pack muffler and make a cherry bomb. it should cost at most 60 from any muffler shop.

wow it's easy to do images now...

·
Registered
542 Posts
To get my magnaflow , all I did was go to a local Meinike shop, tell them what I wanted and how I wanted it, (just like stock) and they did the rest. Came out nice. Just that simple. :cool:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I know for a fact that the above method would not get past local emission laws.

I like the look for a pair of 2 inch tips coming out where the stock muffler is...I'm just not familiar with how easy it is to replace the stock muffler.

*edit*

Thanks 2BIT, I'll have to head down there. Cost of muffler/instalation is you don't mind me asking?

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
GTSpeedRacer said:
I know for a fact that the above method would not get past local emission laws.
And why not? The car still has a muffler and all of the stock emmisions equipment installed. The muffler doesn't have to be at the bumper or even the end of the exhaust system, there just has to be one.

·
19 second madman
2,506 Posts
2gts is right, the muffler has absolutely nothing to do with gaseous emissions. The only thing that a muffler does is supress noise, and so long as the noise isnt overbearingly loud, there shouldnt be a problem...also, with a setup like that, you can still just keep the stock exhaust in your garage and swap it out if need be

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried putting a cherry bomb type exhust on my Jeep...by law the end of the muffler HAS to be behind the last door jam (so fumes don't enter the cabin). On my jeep it wasn't too hard as it's a two door, but with the 4-door elantra, bolting a cherry bomb to the cat doesn't work.

Trust me. It doesn't have anything to do with what's coming out, rather where it's coming out.

·
Registered
226 Posts
well i have no problems with fumes. sorry but i have that setup and it works fine for me. it's not any louder than a regular exhaust. but you will notice a lot of vibration from it. just tryna help u out. on a side note. find a cheap as muffler shop and get a quote for a catback exhaust and muffler. then go to meineke. they price match and do mandrel bends. better quality for less money. they may price match you on the muffler too if you're sure its the same one. oh and they price match at the one i go to so u might wanna check to make sure ur local one does as well.

·
Registered
429 Posts
i got mine from e-bay for 50. had the shop open the exhaust a little. it has a deap throaty sound. not the rice burner whine. and i like the look of it.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I opted to totally delete the muffler all together. Surprisingly enough, the car is not very loud at all. It is quieter that my friend's Civic with a magnaflow, not to mention that his has that high pitched bumble bee sound, whereas mine is very very deep. And as you can see, it is tucked in the same place as my stock muffler.

I just went to the local muffler shop and gave them measurements and angles. The only thing that had to be welded was the flange so that it would bolt up to the stock intermediate pipe. I think it cost me like 15-20 bucks!

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I have a problem with this.
I just don't think that running a car without a muffler is a good idea EVEN if its not as loud.... Do you have before and after performance measurements to determine if it helped to make the car faster / slower ?

04 elantra cvvt said:
I opted to totally delete the muffler all together. Surprisingly enough, the car is not very loud at all. It is quieter that my friend's Civic with a magnaflow, not to mention that his has that high pitched bumble bee sound, whereas mine is very very deep. And as you can see, it is tucked in the same place as my stock muffler.

I just went to the local muffler shop and gave them measurements and angles. The only thing that had to be welded was the flange so that it would bolt up to the stock intermediate pipe. I think it cost me like 15-20 bucks!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went to a couple of Meinikes and was told my best bet was to pick/purchase a muffler first and then go back to get an estimate on installing it as a catback system.

I see magnaflows are pretty popular. Anyone care to give a testimonial and/or point me in a good direction to buy one (I know the web is the best bet, but anyone knowing a good site would be appreciated).

One last thing....best size pipe?

Thanks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
one more option about the paper towel roll sticking out under the bumper. You can also cut your bumper and have it look like this.

·
Registered
851 Posts
FordFasteRR said:
I have a problem with this.
I just don't think that running a car without a muffler is a good idea EVEN if its not as loud.... Do you have before and after performance measurements to determine if it helped to make the car faster / slower ?
Explain more please.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Steve said:
Explain more please.
The only way to know for sure that this exhaust setup is worth using is to do a back to back comparison of your best choice of muffler vs straight through pipe...

If this was the best setup then why dont exhaust manufacturers design super advanced straight through pipes instead of straight through mufflers?

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
If this was the best setup then why dont exhaust manufacturers design super advanced straight through pipes instead of straight through mufflers?
Because you can't quiet the exhaust note with a pipe without changing size. It would have to have baffles or perforations or chambers and if the pipe has those items it's no longer a pipe but a muffler. You still didn't say why straight pipe is bad btw.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Not that loud compared to what? By eliminating the muffler but not the factory resonator I imagine it sounds like a combine. To answer your earlier question, I have a six inch diameter stright through muffler mounted between the catalytic converter and the canister muffler at the end of the Evo Fusion cat-back. My car rumbles nicely at WFO but sound barely louder than stock at idle.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Best way to cut fender?

Roto-zip, hacksaw, dremmel, gringing stone on drill?

Even if I go with a magnaflow, I think cutting the fender makes the muffler look a lot better.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts