Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I finally changed my Elantra fuel filter after I drove 298, 500 miles since I bought it in 2003. It's been long overdue. I really appreciate especially BlackElantraGT for detailed DIY instructions. It was not possible without his instructions.
I cut opened the fuel filter after I finished. It didn't look good, but it was not terribly bad as compared to other member's fuel filter picture posted in this site. It didn't have any sludge. It was not black, but brown. Probably because I often used fuel system cleaner and sometimes I pumped Shell V-ower gasoline.
I drove around 40 miles after the fuel filter change, I definitely noticed more power and better acceleration.

Unlike what BlackElantraGT says, it took only 3 seconds for me to depressurize the fuel line after I disconnected the electric harness and fuel hoses from the top of the fuel filter cover. To make sure the fuel line was completely depressurised, I restarted the engine three times, but it stalled instantly every time.
I spilt only a few drops of fuel inside the car. After I removed the fuel pump assembly, I put it in a horse water bowl and I worked outside of the car. Definitely lots of gasoline coming out from the filter and pump assembly, but most of the gasoline evaporated by the time I finished. Most difficult part was reassembing the gasket and fuel filter cover. I already marked the line on the cover with black marker, but it was barely legible. I should've used white-out. I also cut off the bottom of the filter to retrieve the rubber ring. It was almost impossible to get it out without damaging it if I use a sharp hook.
For safety, I closed all garage doors and parked my car far away from the house.

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used OEM fuel filter I bought from a local Hyundai dealer. I didn't have any such issue. The engine started right up. I was amazed. For sensitive parts such water pump, fuel filter, etc., it's better to buy OEM parts. Gate timing belts are OEM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts