Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, im sure many of you have noticed that ive not posted in some time. that is becuase about 3 months ago i joined a band here in dallas and things have been going very well with the band ive had very little time to do much else.

anyhow... on to my engine.

we had a storm here about 2 weeks ago and there was some flooding on the highway. i was already on the road and had no way to avoid it. at one point it was raining so hard the wipers werent doing me any good. so i started to slow down, and as i did... WOOOOSH. i found my self in a puddle. my accord intake swallowed so much water that it locked the engine up immediately.

so i got the car to my shop pulled the plugs and tried cranking it to blow the water out of the cylinders. wouldnt even turn over. one or more of the rods are bent. i couldnt even turn the motor by hand.

insurance has the car now and is having one of their "special investigations teams" look it over to see if any of the modifications caused the failure... so as of now i guess the ball is in their court until i hear otherwise. the nitrous and exhaust are gone, the interior is fully reassembled all that was left in the car was the intake and the clutch. so well see what happens.

what am i going to do? well... if they total the car, ill buy an all wheel drive turbo eclipse. if they put a new motor in it, ill keep the old motor and rebuild it for major nitrous. and when its done, put it in and keep the new motor for a backup.

worst case scenario, ill be buying a new motor and putting it in myself. but i still plan on rebuilding the old motor.

plans so far are as follows...

bored block
port+polish head
forged pistons
new stronger connecting rods
cams
high flow intake manifold port matched and drilled for direct port
header
exhaust
motor mounts
injectors
afc
multiple bottle direct port 150 shot

that shouldnt take too long or cost as much as a turbo set up. cross your fingers for me. and its good to be back.

-sam

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
Good luck with the ins folks, did you have a chance to try to remove the intake before the inspectors get to look at the car? If you could have gotten the stock airbox back on you would be golden but hopefully you catch someone on a good day and it all get taken care of.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i wasnt able to get a stock intake in time. but i did turn the cai into a short ram. im sure they will make it a point to note the intake. but atleast this way its a little less obvious. the only reason i really bothered reporting this to the insurance was in hopes that they would total it.

no matter what, im going to have to spend money. so i dont really care about what the insurance says.

i just have to sit and wait.

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
If you were able to get it to a short ram before the inspection I hope they will side with you. You could always argue that the stock air box broke and you replaced it with a non oem part as allowed in the Ross-Magnason act, or whatever that warrenty law is called.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
thats a big job but it would be sweet if you did it!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive got the skills, tools, and space to do it... im just waiting to hear back from the insurance company.

ive always been the extreme type. most people who know me here will tell you that this isnt too far fetched for me.

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
nx2k1gls said:
ive always been the extreme type. most people who know me here will tell you that this isnt too far fetched for me.
:iamwithst

Sorry to hear about the car man. Hopefully something good will come out of it though. :)

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
Hey Sam, welcome back. Sad to hear about the motor, but I know you will turn it around and make something good happen out of it.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I almost had that happen, but i kicked it in neutral and let off the gas in time so the engine just siezed instead of hydrolocking. Started right up after i got out of the water. Yeah, for you that stuff doesnt look too too hard.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Well, that just sucks doesn't it.......do you have any idea of what the ins. people are thinking the car is worth?

·
19 second madman
2,506 Posts
damn sam, i wish you told me you needed the stock intake, ive got mine in my garage and would have been happy to help you out...good luck either way

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its worth about 4200.

i was going to try calling you and steve, but i didnt have time. once they knew the car was damaged, they wanted to pick it up asap. i barely had enough time to get the interior put back together.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
Good luck with whatever happens...but hopefully you get to keep the XD

·
Registered
16 Posts
worst case scenario... they sell beta2 engines on ebay for like $200 with a few thou miles on em...

btw, what kinda music your band play? Im guitarist in a punkmetal band too so I into all the music stuff...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts