2 lightning audio 1 farad caps

·
Registered
687 Posts
very clean I like it

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Real nice setup man, do you compete with that or is it just for your own amusement? All the work done by you or do you have a pet installer/shop? Very impressive, I like it a lot

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
retail...the system would have cost about 3500 but i got everything off ebay new in box for 1600....i still have to sound dampen the trunk and doors....oh and the floor lifts up and the spare is still easily accessible :D

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I used the Brown Bread available from Sound Source up in Canada. Its a lot cheaper than Dynamat and so far seems to work just as well. I pulled all the carpet and cladding out of my trunk and laid down a single layer on top of all the sheet metal, made a HUGE difference in interior SQ! Of course then I had to deal with the trunk lid (sedan) but that is whole other story.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
slvr...i did the work myself...my wife did the carpet....its my own enjoyment at the moment...i would like to compete but i just dont have the time....nor is there a place around me that i could compete with it....kind of a shame because i probably have the best SQ system in stroudsburg and surrounding areas....people around here dont know what a good system is :cool:

i have the cascade audio door and trunk kit sitting in my house at the moment...just have to find time to install it! *LOL* trying to find my coilovers is taking up my time at the moment.*LOL* should have bought them from hp store :(

·
Registered
422 Posts
ya know I just want to say even though this topic has been up for a while I still love this setup and hope to maybe do something close to it though using Orion and Infinety stuff.

·
Hyper Auto Club of Qld
34 Posts
Nice work, good to see you're doing the work yourself. I think it's getting harder and harder to find good tradespeople to do the job right. And at the end, you can say "I did it myself" which is always a good thing. One thing I have learnt, is whatever mistakes you do, can always be fixed, and the more stuff you fix, the better you get at it.

Great job, keep it up.
Rob.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
ilanpro...no doubt!! maybe you could make me up a grill? and when i pick it up you could hear it!.....maybe even the bottom grill :eek:

i have to redo my tweeters.....the more i look at them the more i want to do something different

thanks guys!! its nice to see people giving me some respect!! LOL

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
you should be able to remove the grille from the diamond tweets (not sure tho). then custom mount the tweets behind the stock grilles. that's what i did with my a/d/s tweets. once i popped the metal mesh off the tweet, its frame fit perfectly in the stock grille, in fact the tweeter dome fits very nicely right behind the stock grille's perforated section. i used a piece of bendable muffler strap to mount the tweet, using the stock tweeter crew holes.

i also removed the crossovers from the enclosures and mounted them inside the armrests. i don't know if the diamond's x-overs will fit, even when removed from the housings.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah the crossovers are huge...even when they are not in the casing. the tweets are all sealed up!....i dont want to mess with them....maybe i could get gls without the tweet and custm fit the tweets in there....who knows!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
only1db said:
....maybe i could get gls without the tweet and custm fit the tweets in there....who knows!
ACTUALLY, i almost did this. i almost swapped out the stock plastic panels surrounding the tweets for GLS panels so that i could get eliminate the stock tweet location altogether and surface mount the tweets in the sail panel (the panel shaped like a boat "sail" adjacent to the door mirror). the imaging would be far superior to that from the stock location, allowing the tweets to fire directly at each other from higher up. but in the end i stuck with the stock location since i wanted a completely OEM look.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
only1db said:
yeah..that would sound better??? in the sail thing???? like the 03 tiburon
definitely. the staging and imaging will sound 10 times better when the tweeters fire directly across at each other, especially when the "line of fire" is above the dashboard. then you also get the windshield reflection effect, which makes it sound like there's a stage in front of you where the music is coming from. instead of hearing the source eminate from the tweeters themselves, it'll sound like it's coming from an imaginary point somewhere in front of your windshield. that's what all the SQ systems strive for.

i really should have done this, i was just too finicky about not going with anything other than a stock appearance. i kind of regret it now, because with my tweeters aimed practically right at me the way the stock setup is, they are too harsh and bright, and the staging is rather poor (with my eyes closed i can hear exactly where the tweeters are), even though the tweeters are extremely high-end...location often plays a bigger role than speaker quality. before i decided to stick with the stock tweeter location i asked around here if anyone was willing to trade their GLS non-tweeter panels for my GT tweeter panels and there were definitely some takers. or you can just leave the stock panels with the tweets disconnected.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts