Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '04 Elantra GLS auto that I am close to fully owning. When I do, I want to try and put a better transmisson in it. I dont know about other elantras but mine when I hit the gas just sits there, revs, and then decides to go (mainly at dead stops). Im not looking to put my car on the track, but I want some thing that will perform better than what I have now. Does any body know where I can find a better performing tranny? Also, if I do replace it, what other parts may I have to replace with it?

·
The Euro Guy
1,117 Posts
Welcome To EXD!

As for the transmission, i don't think that there's anything you can do to get faster response. The best thing to do would be a flushing and refilling the trans (USE ONLY HYUNDAI'S FLUID!)
Theres the possibility of doing a manual transmission swap if you really want response and better performance. There's great clutch kits available for the manual tranny.
But a trans swap is a lot of work, and most of the time it aint worth it.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Have you kept up on the transmission maintenance (regular flushes)? I have just over 60k miles on mine, flushed at 30k and 60k and have no symptoms like you do. Sounds like yours was abused.
Hyundai auto transmissions are pretty hyundai-specific. You could probably get a newer 05 or 06 with less mileage... you could also do a tibby auto tranny swap to the shiftronic. I don't think anyone has done that, you'll need a whole new ECU/TCM swap along with a whole bunch of other things though.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
Have you kept up on the transmission maintenance (regular flushes)? I have just over 60k miles on mine, flushed at 30k and 60k and have no symptoms like you do. Sounds like yours was abused.
Hyundai auto transmissions are pretty hyundai-specific. You could probably get a newer 05 or 06 with less mileage... you could also do a tibby auto tranny swap to the shiftronic. I don't think anyone has done that, you'll need a whole new ECU/TCM swap along with a whole bunch of other things though.
The Tib auto tranny is the same as the XD trans, but the PCM and wiring is different. The 04 has the most recent trans and that is fairly good.

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
sounds like ur having the same problem i am. take it to the dealer... have them inspect it and u may be getting a free tranny under warranty.

whenever my transmission got cold. like over night.... whenever i got in it in the morning it would pause for a second or 2 before going into the selected gear...

happened is everything from R - D - 3 2 1. left the car at the dealer over night. n basically they told me its bad n ordered a new transmission for me.

·
Resident Leg Puller
411 Posts
pete...if you only knew the issues ive had with auto elantras in the last couple years...honestly...forget about an auto....swap it to a manual and forget about it....they run better, more reliable...just dont burn up a clutch or grind the gears LMAO

my 03 sometimes stalls when its first started, after you put it in drive and hit the gas....but once its warmed up she runs like a beast :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input, I haven't done any maintenance other than regular services and tire changes over 15k miles. A couple of months before my deployment I did not do any at all because it would just be sitting in storage for a year, so as soon as I get back in a few months, I will have plenty of work to do on it. I bought it at about 60k miles, have maybe 75k on it right now, I doubt if the warranty will cover a new one. But I'll check on it.

About swapping to manual, does anybody know a rough estimate how much that can run for? Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts