Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have an 05 Elantra GLS with 115,000 miles on it. I bought the car brand new. I am beginning to notice the clutch is slipping slightly. It usually happens (not often) if I left off the clutch funky, and have to let off the gas and get back on again to catch. So I called my local dearlship, in Turnersville, NJ, and they quoted 1300 dollars before taxes for parts and labor. The labor was 630 dollars, and the remainder for parts (included clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, and throw out bearing). I thought this was extremely high. I know that labor would be high, but more than parts?

I am not in a position to get a new car, and would like to keep this car until the wheels fall off. I think 115,000 miles on original clutch is pretty good.

I think I may have access to a shop with a lift and air tools, and am really debating on doing the work myself. I have looked over the DIY for the clutch swap, and feel I could get it done with some help.

I suppose this post is just to get some feedback about the cost the dealership proposed, as well as anyone with personal experience doing the clutch swap. Also, I would really like to consider something aftermarket, I keep hearing about the ACT stage II, lots of you guys seem to like it. However, that 450 dollar Fidanza flywheel is deep. Any other suggestions about the flywheel?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and any input/suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Eric

·
chef 4 life
5,781 Posts
That's about right from the dealership. Mine was $1200 4 years ago, so that seems about right. If you look for an aftermarket setup at a better price, the dealership will still put it in, or you can give it a shot. With the warranty gone, I would go aftermarket though.

·
Calf...Ankles...Cankles!!
12,676 Posts
you could buy a clutch kit from autozone or similar for probably <$200 and have a private shop put it in for $300-400...or get on a local automotive forum and find a gearhead who would do it in his garage for half that but you don't get a warranty with that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys, between the DIY here, the Haynes manual, and access to a shop, I will attempt to do this at some point (after tax return of course).

What I want and what I should get are way off, I'd like to have the best, but just can't justify such expensive parts for a car that isn't meant for performance, considering mine is all stock.

Thanks again.

Eric

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
dealership quoted me less than 1000. it was like 900-something. that was about a year ago in PA.

ill be getting it quoted again though (prolly within the week, maybe 2)

·
Forced Induction Junkie
518 Posts
Too bad your not closer. I do them for 675 including an OE clutch

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I used an ACT clutch when mine went out on my XD and loved it. I found one of the guys at the dealer that was willing to do the job on the side. He charged me $200 labor to do the install, including doing the timing belt at the same time... You should be fine with just having the OE flywheel machined. I had 66k on mine when I had it done, and the flywheel was able to be machined rather than replaced.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
yeah...they shouldnt have to replace the flywheel. Just have it machined. and that price seems a tick high...but that is probably WITH the cost of a new flywheel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dealership quoted me less than 1000. it was like 900-something. that was about a year ago in PA.

ill be getting it quoted again though (prolly within the week, maybe 2)
Could you let me know how you are quoted, perhaps price of parts vs labor? 630 dollars in labor is an outrage.

Too bad your not closer. I do them for 675 including an OE clutch
yes too bad, id help you, feed you and give you beer. lol.

I used an ACT clutch when mine went out on my XD and loved it. I found one of the guys at the dealer that was willing to do the job on the side. He charged me $200 labor to do the install, including doing the timing belt at the same time... You should be fine with just having the OE flywheel machined. I had 66k on mine when I had it done, and the flywheel was able to be machined rather than replaced.
If i take the route of doing the labor myself, machining the flywheel may be out of the picture. I don't know the process, nor know if I have the tools or resources to do it. Replacing sounds easier (and more expensive) for the DIY'er.

yeah...they shouldnt have to replace the flywheel. Just have it machined. and that price seems a tick high...but that is probably WITH the cost of a new flywheel.
Yes, that is the price with a new flywheel, when I was quoted, I was told that they will not machine the flywheel, they can only replace it. I really should question that. I had an 03 Tib GTv6 6spd and had the clutch replaced, and they did nothing about the flywheel. When I got the car back, shifting was almost impossible. Luckily, my next door neighbor was the Sales Manager at the time, and got them to machine the flywheel at no cost to me (he's the man).

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
If i take the route of doing the labor myself, machining the flywheel may be out of the picture. I don't know the process, nor know if I have the tools or resources to do it. Replacing sounds easier (and more expensive) for the DIY'er.
If you do it yourself, take the flywheel out of the car and to your local machine shop to have it machined. I don't know of anyone with a flywheel lathe in their garage... but I've been wrong before. Call around to your local shops to find someone to machine it for you. It shouldn't run any more than $40-50.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you do it yourself, take the flywheel out of the car and to your local machine shop to have it machined. I don't know of anyone with a flywheel lathe in their garage... but I've been wrong before. Call around to your local shops to find someone to machine it for you. It shouldn't run any more than $40-50.
Thanks for the heads up, I guess it shouldn't take long to do it. I would only be concerned (because I would hate to not be able to finish in one day) if I took the flywheel somewhere and am told it is no longer machinable.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
i got exact numbers from hyundai
i forget what all the parts that make up a clutch are called. but there were 5 pieces total, and depending on your specific situation you could need any combination of them replaced. im doing this from memory, i have the numbers written at work but i think this is right.

something i cant remember- 110
disc- 80
pressure plate-60
master- 115
slave- 70
flywheel- 265

^those numbers have to be close. i know the master / slave / flywheel ones are spot on. the others i gotta be close on cause i know it all added up to around 450. and i know the first part i cant think of is def 110 cause i wrote it real big on my note pad lol.. just can't remeber the name of the part!

flywheel is definitely Ouch at 265

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
i got exact numbers from hyundai
i forget what all the parts that make up a clutch are called. but there were 5 pieces total, and depending on your specific situation you could need any combination of them replaced. im doing this from memory, i have the numbers written at work but i think this is right.

something i cant remember- 110
disc- 80
pressure plate-60
master- 115
slave- 70
flywheel- 265

^those numbers have to be close. i know the master / slave / flywheel ones are spot on. the others i gotta be close on cause i know it all added up to around 450. and i know the first part i cant think of is def 110 cause i wrote it real big on my note pad lol.. just can't remeber the name of the part!

flywheel is definitely Ouch at 265

1 - 13 of 13 Posts