Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Doobie
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I've googled this question a lot and the majority of ppl agree that i have to "break in" my new clutch. i followed the clutch install DIY (from the DIY sections, absolutely awesome btw) but now i have a shudder when moving from a dead stop to 1st gear. I also kind of feel it (very slightly) when i disengage the clutch too slow in all gears, but the dead stop to 1st gear by far is the worse. I drive a 2002 hyundai elantra.

I installed the ebay special "F1 RACING COMPLETE STAGE 3 PERFORMANCE RACE CLUTCH KIT" and had my flywheel inspected (while on the car by my mechanic; he did notice a VERY slight burn mark which he stated wouldn't cause me a problem). I did notice my clutch pedel not engaging where it use to and so I changed my clutch; more as a preventative measure before something seriously slipped. I have over 180k on the same stock clutch. I also changed the master and slave cylinders and completely bled the system. The install went relatively smooth (except for 3 very stubborn bolts i snapped which took 4 extra days to remove and replace). i also changed transmission fluid with new fluid.

I guess my real question is was my mechanic messing with me (regarding not needing to address flywheel) or will the shudder go away once "broken in"? he's usually really reliable for info and help; i've read people experiencing this issue with either a new flywheel or a machined flywheel also.

I also read that the motor/transmission mounts may be causing my issue; what concerns me is that this never happened before!!!

·
Im better at video games
1,440 Posts
can you explain shudder?

I am not by any means a mechanic, nor do I know hardly anything about mechanical things! BUT, I do have the exact same clutch in my car.
Is it short of like the shudder you get when you first learned to drive stick? a big stop and go?? I get that sometimes when the car has sat for a day or two and I drive it . . . but besides that, the clutch has been great for me.

·
lag, lag, lag, bye.
1,309 Posts
A quick eBay search reveals it's a pucked clutch. It's called clutch chatter, very common with pucked clutches.

Learn to drive better. It will take some getting used to.

·
Doobie
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks airsoftfreak for the reassurance; I too believe i will be okay and it will, in time, smooth out. It was really rough at first but now its not bad.

As for the definition of shudder: its a rough vibration which occurs when the clutch is disengaged while starting off from a dead stop to 1st gear. What i've read and have been told is that the clutch disc is actually grabbing and slipping several times, very quickly, at the engagement point.

What i've found is that the clutch must be disengaged quicker vs a traditional stock setup; this causes me to kind of launch from a dead stop but it beats the shudder. I also found when I'm in heavy traffic i rev a little higher (about 2000rpm+) and slip the clutch to get a little movement then shift normally; the clutch completely engages like butter.

A quick eBay search reveals it's a pucked clutch. It's called clutch chatter, very common with pucked clutches.

Learn to drive better. It will take some getting used to.
Do you have any other suggestions? "Learn to drive better"?? thanks Tips!

·
lag, lag, lag, bye.
1,309 Posts
Do you have any other suggestions? "Learn to drive better"?? thanks Tips!
You're welcome, Noob!

By the way, when I said "Learn to drive better", I meant just that. Learn to drive with it, as you can't drive it like a full face disc and expect smoothness. It's not rocket science. I wasn't being a dick, and quite frankly I don't understand why you are being a sarcascit *****. As far as I know, I answered your question on why it's doing it. Puck clutch = chatter. As you pointed out in your previous post, yes, that's why it chatters. And you're also right, it will go away a bit while it breaks in, but you will still notice some more later, even with the clutch fully broken in. Clutch chatter is NOT good, so I will refer to my previous statement:

Learn to drive better.

·
Doobie
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clutch chatter is NOT good
Hey Tips (2LiterRiceEater),

I completely agree with you about the sarcasm; but i do feel your extrememly generic comment of "learn to drive better" doesn't actually help anyone in this world DRIVE BETTER!!! and yes it is a d*ck comment! Real help would have been some examples of how i could actually learn to drive better with the puck style clutch plate; i think i did a decent job explaining how i had to drive it differently and i'm just a noob!*sarcasm alart*. All you did was make fun of me and repeat what previous members posted; that higher stage clutches will shudder.

I hope other members will be able to explain how they "learned to drive better"

·
lag, lag, lag, bye.
1,309 Posts
No. See, real help is answering your question. You never asked "how can I drive better?". You asked if your mechanic was messing with you, or if the chatter will go away. With that being said, you got your answer. In my first post, I did not make fun of you. I just pointed out you gotta learn to drive better with this kind of clutch, because it is different, and will take getting used to. Every car is different, I can't spoon feed you how I drive mine and expect yours to behave the same. It's just practice and patience. Eventually you will get smoother, especially since you have a sprung center, not solid like mine.

And no. "higher stage clutches" do not chatter. Puck clutches chatter. You can have a high "stage" clutch with a full face disc and have no chatter.

·
Doobie
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this banter is getting quite off topic. I do apologize for the sarcasm; like i did state, there are a mulitude of potential causes of vehicle shudder, not only the clutch. I was hoping my detailed explanation of what i was experiencing was a good indication of my concern.

If I was 100% sure it was the clutch i would have asked "how can i drive better" but i wasnt sure.

I do appreciate the additional information you have provided, but practice wont always cure a problem. It takes perfect practice, which is a combination of knowledge from reading/people and practice; if you were told 2+2=3 and practiced it, you would never get it right. You said yourself that it is different, your experience proves it; i didn't need to be spoon fed anything, it would have been nice to know how it was different for you and how in your experience you overcame it, thats all. Since we both drive elantras theres a good chance they will have similar quirks.

by the way; statements like "learn to drive better" "its not rocket science" "i dont need to spoon feed.." are all condescending i'm not saying you dont know what your talking about but I just installed a new clutch all by myself; i do deserve some respect.

thanks again, i will try and pay it forward on this site and maybe i wont be a noob anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.